Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I bought a new subaru

new to me that is, 1986 turbo wagon, auto tranny sitting in the back, missing the last section of the exhaust, but otherwise complete. And hardly any rust, just one soft spot. Turbo is in good shape, but the torque converter is missing, so no go...

No LSD either, that was a pity. But it does have a rear sway bar, rear disks, sunroof, trip computer, height adjustable seats, rear door release, digi-dash and rear headrests. It used to have air suspension, but someone put regular struts in at some point. Brand new tires on the H-alloys. Literaly brand new, 0 miles. They were put on in anticipation of the car being fixed, and it never was.

The price was right though, $160 cash.

The tranny wouldn't shift up, so I assume the governor gear is apple cored. Pity they lost the TC, and the input shaft has surface rust on it, other wise I'd drive it home. For now it will donate it's rear crossmember to my wagon and overwinter in Wyoming.

Governor gear fully apple cored, it spins without engaging the tranny gear at all. The tranny gear is a bit bunged up, but I think it's still servicable.

It's a job that could have been done in half an hour, but they pulled the tranny and then lost the TC over a cheap and easy part. That's what happens when you don't diagnose things first.

i have an 89 justy ecvt and its not shifting up either, what should i look for? I'm new to this car so have no idea where to start.... any thoughts would be welcome

Your best bet, honestly, is to find a 5-speed Justy and put the good parts from your car into it (and/or keep the ECVT Justy as a parts car). I say this because apparently no one knows how to work on the ECVT Justy trans, or can find parts for it, even here in the States. And you're on a little island, so parts must be tougher and expensiver to come by.

The body really isn't in that bad shape, so i'm thinking of "reasigning" the vin plates off of my junk wagon that I have a clear title to. The next question is whether to keep the EA82T or go for an EJ25?

I kinda like the idea of a turbo... But I really don't have any love for the EA82 series engines, they're fine and all, but GUTLESS. I have a spare wiring harness out of a legacy in the shed, and a bunch of junk EJ25's that would work with a bore job, plus an AWD EJ tranny sitting in the yard.

I'd have to use the turbo engine to get it home from WY, but then...

Dev,

I'm going to Manchester,NH tomorrow- Saturday - in the early AM

Call me if its possible to get those panels while I'm up there.

Congrats on the find!

Back at ya for another look. Call me if it's easy enough to get the panels,otherwise I'll talk to you when you get back.