Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza Dual Range Transmission

ktsubaru

Just an FYI before high hopes turn into "is that all?"

It is my understanding (and I have seen literature) that the Imp/Forester dual ranges have a 1.19:1 low range ratio... that's only a 19% gear reduction.

The EA82 5 spd was 1.52:1 - 52%

Most 4WDs are 2.5:1

Jeep Rubicon is 4.0:1

This D/R may be intended as a power or towing mode option and a nice-to -have as every bit of gearing helps a Sube, but may be a bit spendy for 19%.

r/ PK

Just an FYI before high hopes turn into "is that all?"

It is my understanding (and I have seen literature) that the Imp/Forester dual ranges have a 1.19:1 low range ratio... that's only a 19% gear reduction.

The EA82 5 spd was 1.52:1 - 52%

Most 4WDs are 2.5:1

Jeep Rubicon is 4.0:1

This D/R may be intended as a power or towing mode option and a nice-to -have as every bit of gearing helps a Sube, but may be a bit spendy for 19%.

r/ PK

yep, all EJ dual ranges have the 1.196 reduction, however, the internals are identical to EA stuff.....so the 1.592 can be swapped in. but with the EJ bellhousing an EJ pressure plate/flywheel combo can be used.

that forester trans would probably work. only question would be axles, but those of us either putting them in an EJ car, or using EJ front knuckles could easily fix that.

let's hear a quote

I was surprised to see a quote from subaru. because used ones are not available in Japan and brand new transmissions are ...... well, I know it will be a shock but around $6000.

Dual Range Transmission is not common in Japan. That's the reason why there aren't any used dual range transmission available over there, that's what Subaru said.

I don't think anyone wants this at this price.

I think I might cry. yep I will. :confused:

I actually work for customs broker, so, if you guys find dual range transmission and need assistance to ship it, I can arrange shipping for you. The service includes booking the shipment (air or ocean), customs clearance, domestic delivery to your door.

The new dual range transmission, if I can get 10 bulk orders, I think the price can be (maybe) lowered to around $3500 per item.

I'd like to know how much your budget is.