Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99' legacy outback overheating

I am looking at purchasing a 99 legacy outback with about 93,000 miles on it. The owner says that the car overheated but stopped when he removed the thermostate. He says that he hasn't had a chance to look at the problem but he thinks it may be the headgasket. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

It very well could be a gasket problem but it may be the radiator also. I would get a block check done to see if that is the case. If the temp rises real fast then I would suspect the gaskets. You may be able to get the car at a discounted price.

At that mileage it will not be the radiator (unless it leaks). There are three possabilities. One is a bad Tstat. Another is a bad radiator cap, the third is a HG.

Is this a dual cam or single cam engine. Id its dual, internal HG, if its single, the HG usually fails with an external leak and wont cause overheating.

Look at the condition of the fluid in the overflow.

Start the car with the Rad cap off and watch for bubbles. With the T stat gone this would be an easy and quick test.

See if the car has heat.

Ask the seller if he had any work done to the car recently.

How much is he asking?

nipper

He's asking $6900. The car is a limited edition and he says he changed the thermostat but hadn't done anything else to determine the problem.

99Legob is DOHC. Probably Headgasket. If the owner knew how to remove the thermostat he knew more, that the HG was gone.

6900 is way out of the range.

Offer him 3500 if everything else is perfect. Test drive it and leave a hidden note for the potential new owner that they need major engine work and were probably ripped off if they paid anything close to to KBB. :Flame:

99Legob is DOHC. Probably Headgasket. If the owner knew how to remove the thermostat he knew more, that the HG was gone.

6900 is way out of the range.

Offer him 3500 if everything else is perfect. Test drive it and leave a hidden note for the potential new owner that they need major engine work and were probably ripped off if they paid anything close to to KBB. :Flame:

I would agree, that is way too high. The seller knows the HG is blow I bet and looking to dump the car on an unsuspecting buyer.