Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What are the differences between the Outback 2.5XT and WRX STI engines?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mckeand13

mckeand13

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Milwaukee

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

I like the newer 2005 and up Outback 2.5XT's but I know I would be greedy for more hp and especially torque.

Both engines are 2.5L with turbo. Do they really start with the same block/heads or what parts do they share. I noticed that the STI is intercooled.

Beyond that, what are the differences.

Is it possible to make an OBXT STI fast?

#2 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:34 PM

STIs are very fast but there not crazy fast, yes it would be possible to make it as fast as an STI, and I am pretty sure that the 2.5xt is intercooled right? I mean I though my car was the only one that they decided to go dumb on and not put a cooler. also Im not exactly sure but I think that the xt has a tdo4 not a VF so.... please new school guys correct me if I am wrong, I dont have a new school subaru but I know about most of the 90 through 2004 type stuff(then I lost interest)

#3 mckeand13

mckeand13

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Milwaukee

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

Yep, your right. They are intercooled. I was just going by the specs on the Subaru website and they don't mention it under "engine" for the OBXT. I just looked at a picture of the engine bay and I guess the hoodscoop is a giveaway.

So, now what differences are left to make up the almost 50hp difference?

#4 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

I am guessing boost, and turbo.... thats what I think.

#5 WRX2FFU

WRX2FFU

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • FORT WAYNE

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:36 PM

Yep, your right. They are intercooled. I was just going by the specs on the Subaru website and they don't mention it under "engine" for the OBXT. I just looked at a picture of the engine bay and I guess the hoodscoop is a giveaway.

So, now what differences are left to make up the almost 50hp difference?

turbo and tuning.........

#6 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,269 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

Yep, they use the same engine, ej257. Different intercooler, turbo and ecu tune. You can make just as much power as an STi.

#7 uh_infinity

uh_infinity

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Loveland

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the reply. That was what I was thinking. Maybe some others will post to confirm.

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

It is NOT the same engine. The OBXT is the EJ255. It has higher compression pistons, runs a smaller turbo and less boost. There may be differences in the heads as well. Obviously the tune is different and most likely so is the cam profile, ect. The heads themselves may have different valve construction and they may not be the same size.

While it can be as fast as a stock STi with the right upgrades and tuning, it doesn't have the potential without changing the pistons. For that matter people break stock STi pistons at stock power levels so frankly they need upgraded as well. But the OBXT pistons are higher compression and would need to be swapped for significant HP gains to be safe.

GD

#9 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,269 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Well, at least 6 years after the thread was posted I know I was wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users