Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

just curious if a forester would tow an XT on a dolly?? only goin about 300 miles..

The official line from Subaru is 1,000lbs unbraked, and 2,000lbs braked. I have seen Subaru's tow 3,000 lbs before, but the transmissions usually fail prematurely as a result.

You towed vehicle weighs 3,500lbs and the trailer that it will be on will be around 1,500lbs for a total of 5,000lbs so forget about it. Find a second driver....

BTW: by dolly, I hope you don't plan to tow with just two wheels of the ground? Subaru's can ONLY be towed with all four wheels off the ground, towing with two wheels on the ground will destroy the AWD system, and possibly lead to loss of the towed vehicle.

Originally posted by alias20035

The official line from Subaru is 1,000lbs unbraked, and 2,000lbs braked. I have seen Subaru's tow 3,000 lbs before, but the transmissions usually fail prematurely as a result.

You towed vehicle weighs 3,500lbs and the trailer that it will be on will be around 1,500lbs for a total of 5,000lbs so forget about it. Find a second driver....

BTW: by dolly, I hope you don't plan to tow with just two wheels of the ground? Subaru's can ONLY be towed with all four wheels off the ground, towing with two wheels on the ground will destroy the AWD system, and possibly lead to loss of the towed vehicle.

Sorry I reread your post and you said XT, I was thinking Forester XT (Turbo).

You XT weighs about 2,500?. If front wheel drive you can dolly it, with AWD you need to trailer it.

You will still be way over the official 1,000lb unbraked trailer limit.