Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Paint peeling from hood scoop

Just as I'm approaching 100K miles in my '97 OB, the paint has suddenly started flaking off my hood scoop. It started with a couple of little (<.25") spots and then I parked outside at the airport for a week... now it's 2" flakes. :( Only the (plastic) scoop is affected, not the (metal) hood.

Anyone else have this problem? How did you address it?

The scoop is plastic, which I realize is not easy for paint to stick to. If I paint it myself I have some plastic adhesion promoter primer to use, but I'm not sure if I can or even want to try to match the slightly faded paint on the rest of the hood. (The car is dark blue, FWIW). I wonder how black would look :brow:

Steve

Use some 3m scotch brite pads and scuff all the paint off, make sure plastic is ruff and then wash with warm water, let air dry then prime paint it, then either color match paint or leave it rebal flat black:headbang: Yeah. hope this gives you an idea in your direction. Sean

My 97 OBW LTD did the same thing. The plastic insert in the hood scoop opening started to peel the paint off, about year 3. Before it managed to get too far advanced, I simply repainted the offending spots (at each end and about one half inch in diameter) using the factory touchup paint tubes that the dealer sells. It sealed the edges where the paint was lifting, and covered the problem nicely, unless you leaned over and looked very closely. It solved my problem up until I traded it on an 02 OBW LTD.

I figured mine wasn't the only one. I planned to touch up the paint after I washed the car and the weather warmed up a bit, but the big flakes appeared literally in one week being parked... now it's probably too far gone to just touch up, d'oh!

Still considering black, I plan on keeping the car for a long time so I don't really need to worry about resale.

I'll post pictures if it turns out looking good, thanks for the input!

Steve