Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to tow or not to tow???

I towed an 84 turbo with a front wheel dolly - course it had a blown tranny so who knows if it did any damag, but if you think about it, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to. When they are in 2WD, the rear end is being turned by the wheels rolling.

Removing the driveshaft is a good idea, but you'll lose all your tranny fluid if you don't cork it somehow.

GD

Put it on a dolly and drop the driveline from the rearend and tie it up somehow....

You can't pull the whole shaft (Tranny will leak oil) unless you have another spline spindle to go on the tranny.. (The spindle that goes on the spline shaft that comes out of the tranny)

If you have an extra spline spindle w/o the rest of the driveshafty and ujoints hooked to it, just put that on there and wire tie it in place..

It will work, I drove for 3 months in my 86 GL with the spindle wire tied in there...

My terms for the parts might be off, so if u can't figure it out, lemme know.

I don't see why you can't tow a part time 4x4. You can't tow awd or full time 4wd, but when you are in 2wd, the rear end is disconnected as soon as it enters the tranny. It would be spinning just like when you are driving it. The tranny shouldn't need to be cooled because there is no torque on the gears or bearings, and no torque converter etc slipping, and so very little heat buildup.

archemetis gave you the proper way to tow your car.

I just moved my '84 turbo coupe with a dolly. I took the back driveline out. It took about 5 minutes and I only lost about a quart of oil.

I'm not sure if Subarus are affected this way but generally automatic transmissions are lubricated by a pump and the oil pump only turns and pumps when the engine is running.

I think pulling the driveline and buying a quart of oil is cheap insurance, just try to find one of those transmissions or pay to rebuild one!