Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

question about turbos

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 junkyardgabe

junkyardgabe

WRX Goal Accomplished!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Lisbon Falls

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:25 PM

What year ea82 turbos are the better to use? I found a complete '86 xt turbo 4wd with 106k on it. I don't know if it runs, but I'm gonna go back in the next couple of days and try and get the whole car.

#2 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 04 December 2003 - 09:05 PM

Depends on who you ask. The early motor used a little different electronics system, with the MAF being the most obvious difference. They weren't rated with quite the same power as the 87-90 turbos, but you can crank the boost on the older ones without the computer cutting fuel. On the flip side, the early motors, 85-86, have generation 1 heads which are know for cracking. Some would say the ideal motor is an 85-86 with better heads put on, but that's debatable.

Keith

#3 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 05 December 2003 - 02:22 AM

106k isn't too bad. i'd put a 106k turbo on my car in a second as long as it didn't look cooked. I don't think there's any difference between different years of EA82 turbos except the 87+ turbos have the wastegate routed to s separate controller instead of right off of the vacuum thingy like the 85/86s.

#4 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 05 December 2003 - 07:49 AM

Originally posted by baccaruda
106k isn't too bad. i'd put a 106k turbo on my car in a second as long as it didn't look cooked. I don't think there's any difference between different years of EA82 turbos except the 87+ turbos have the wastegate routed to s separate controller instead of right off of the vacuum thingy like the 85/86s.

Ha ha, dumb me. He didn't ask what turbo motors. :o Oh well, I don't think there is any difference in the turbos used through out the years, and yeah 106k should still be good enough to use without worry.

Keith

#5 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:09 AM

hell my wagons turbo has 290k on it.. still works like new haha... depends on how it was taken care of IMO... i'm gunna keep mine for a spare because i know its still good...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users