Ultimate Subaru Message Board

question about turbos

Depends on who you ask. The early motor used a little different electronics system, with the MAF being the most obvious difference. They weren't rated with quite the same power as the 87-90 turbos, but you can crank the boost on the older ones without the computer cutting fuel. On the flip side, the early motors, 85-86, have generation 1 heads which are know for cracking. Some would say the ideal motor is an 85-86 with better heads put on, but that's debatable.

Keith

106k isn't too bad. i'd put a 106k turbo on my car in a second as long as it didn't look cooked. I don't think there's any difference between different years of EA82 turbos except the 87+ turbos have the wastegate routed to s separate controller instead of right off of the vacuum thingy like the 85/86s.

Originally posted by baccaruda

106k isn't too bad. i'd put a 106k turbo on my car in a second as long as it didn't look cooked. I don't think there's any difference between different years of EA82 turbos except the 87+ turbos have the wastegate routed to s separate controller instead of right off of the vacuum thingy like the 85/86s.

Ha ha, dumb me. He didn't ask what turbo motors. :o Oh well, I don't think there is any difference in the turbos used through out the years, and yeah 106k should still be good enough to use without worry.

Keith