Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2nd generation outback thoughts?

I am looking at a very nice 01 outback wagon with 75k, it has a had a HG recall fixed by the dealership, and this is a relative so I can get a great deal.

1st ? How hard to add heated seats and mirrors? Is the wiring there and just a matter of swapping out seats/mirrors and controls?

2nd ?The car is an automatic and this has me very nervous. How reliable are these? How much if one blows up? How much different will it drive compared to my 91 LS 5 spd? I have never owned an auto Subaru before, and I know the awd is electronic 90/10 rather than good old 50/50. But in 90% driving will I even notice the difference?

Any other areas of concern to look at or be aware of?

:confused:

If the HG's were already done then that is a bonus.

On a cool morning after the vehicle has sat overnight, fire it up and shift it right into drive and make sure it engages within a second or two. A number of the '99's and some '00's had that problem where some low band clutch seals or something went bad 'preventing the rapid buildup of pressure' or something and would take 5, 10, 15 seconds or more to engage. Haven't heard of it on an '01 but I'd check anyway.

And of course the torque bind check.

Hey is that a 'limited' model, because if so I think you also get the bonus of a limited slip rear diff. I wish I had that...

The AWD works fine on the autos, provided the duty c and spool valve are in working condition. The TCU controls that based on various conditions including wheels pin up to 50% power to the rear.

the 4EAT is a great transmission as far as automatics go, particularly AWD automatics. they can fail, but being well taken care of, fluids changed and not overheated they tend to last a very long time and not cause many problems. the great news about that is two fold. first, it wont' be that surprising if you never have any problems with it. second, if you did end up needing it replaced they are reliable enough that i consider a used one a very acceptable option. i'm a stickler about reliability in my wifes impreza, if the trans went out, i would not hesitate to find a used one, but i doubt i'll ever need to. you can get a used one for $500-$1500 where as a rebuild could run up to $3,000+.

check for torque bind, have the fluid changed and consider an aftermarket trans cooler. i install one but i do a fair amount of mountain driving, some off road and towing with mine. if you expect any kind of hard usage you might want to consider that as well to keep you ATF fluid temps down. the coolers are only $30-$50.

i've seen the delayed shift too...tends to be 99 models, hopefully yours is out of that.

oppinion really, but manuals definitely feel quicker, even if they are not. the automatic XT6 sports quicker track times than the manual, but you'd never believe it if you drove one of each. point being, the manuals definitely feel and are typically quicker, but you shouldn't be disappointed in this 01 though, my cousins 99 or 2000 drives quite well for an auto.