Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so my exhaust rusted out....LOUD

It started as a little exhaust burble that made the car sound mean so i didnt mind it. Now its turned to a full fledged howl when Im doing nothing but driving around town. I mean this thing is as loud as my IROC (edlebrock headers to 3 inch exhaust). It rotted out right where the transmission exhaust mount attaches to the exhaust. I have two quarter sized holes that are growing by the day. Hopefully on monday i will be getting a whole new exhaust (minus the two cats). Ill keep everyone posted. I already have a new dynomax muffler so i plan on just replacing everything between the muffler and the Y pipe. Im figuring I'll just leave it 1 7/8".

should open it up some more when i dump them both!! Its 25 years old and therefore doesnt need to be tested in connecticut. I already found a local shop that will do it under the table..straight pipe all the way out to my muffler without catalitic converters. Even though it doesnt need to be tested its still illegal to tamper with the catalitics..oh well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the guy that i had waited for to put a straight pipe in didnt come back from vacation when he said he would. So i gave up and brought it over to they boys at another local place i know. The manager just happened to not be there and the exhaust expert just happened to be a performance buff so he understood why i wanted to dump the cats. I now have a straight pipe from the engine back to my dynomax muffler. It sounds awesome now. Best part...he only wanted 50 bucks for his troubles. He welded it instead of clamping it as well. Cheap and great quality. Cant beat it.

Steve,

glad to hear your golden subie is back to rights!

Did you keep the cat(s)? I know they fetch some pretty righteous $$$ at the JY, and Ive even seen people sell em on evil-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USED-SCRAP-CATALYTIC-CONVERTERS-CAT-CONVERTER-FULL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33629QQihZ020QQitemZ300145728696QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Is there a one-cat high-flow exhaust system available for my 90 Loyale. I'm out in the sticks East of Denver where emissions isn't required so I'm not concerned about a test. My exhaust is original and I'm sure the cats are clogged pretty good. I put a high flow Cat and a Cat-back exhaust on my F-250 and what a difference!

It started as a little exhaust burble that made the car sound mean so i didnt mind it. Now its turned to a full fledged howl when Im doing nothing but driving around town. I mean this thing is as loud as my IROC (edlebrock headers to 3 inch exhaust). It rotted out right where the transmission exhaust mount attaches to the exhaust. I have two quarter sized holes that are growing by the day. Hopefully on monday i will be getting a whole new exhaust (minus the two cats). Ill keep everyone posted. I already have a new dynomax muffler so i plan on just replacing everything between the muffler and the Y pipe. Im figuring I'll just leave it 1 7/8".

Wow! Talk about Karma :-p Uhh,weren't we just talking about loud exhausts. I'd say you cursed yourself that day.:)

I have to laugh because you told me then that you were fairly unfamiliar with Subarus having loud exhausts. I was thinking you were the only one on the planet. :lol: Welcome to the club. Glad you're all set now.

Wow! Talk about Karma :-p Uhh,weren't we just talking about loud exhausts. I'd say you cursed yourself that day.:)

I have to laugh because you told me then that you were fairly unfamiliar with Subarus having loud exhausts. I was thinking you were the only one on the planet. :lol: Welcome to the club. Glad you're all set now.

Haha i kno Paul i was thinking the same. I remember you saying you thought my exhaust was a little loud well i think you were the first one to hear the beginning of a nasty leak. All fixed now. :)