Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought an intercooler out of an old Volvo for 10 bucks not knowing if it would fit or not. It was a last second thing and for 10 bucks, I'm not to hurt. The stupid thing is I talked to one of my friends about it, and he had two top mount intercoolers lying around and he gave me both of them for helping him move. (He said the Volvo intercooler was useless) I'm not sure what they are off of, I just know they don't belong to any Subaru's. The Volvo one is a front mount that fits in front of the radiator (on the volvo), and it looks like I could flip it upside down and possibly fit it in if i moved the radiator back a half inch. The top mounts fit exactly where the stock intercooler fits on a EJ20T, but the pipes are going the wrong way. I'm a welder so I was thinking of just changing the angle on the pipes, but all in all im just really not sure which one to use. Any suggestions?

My brother uses an Intercooler from a Saab 900 turbo, it works fine as a top mount intercooler, the outlets and inlets work just fine. He had to do a little modification to things to make it fit. From his research, from searching through the many forums, that the Saab 900 intercoolers work the best, with very little modifications. I was going to put one on my '93, but I got mad and traded it in before I could get around to doing it.

My brother uses an Intercooler from a Saab 900 turbo, it works fine as a top mount intercooler, the outlets and inlets work just fine. He had to do a little modification to things to make it fit. From his research, from searching through the many forums, that the Saab 900 intercoolers work the best, with very little modifications. I was going to put one on my '93, but I got mad and traded it in before I could get around to doing it.

Ok thank you, I'll look into using one of those instead

Like an intercooler from an EJ20(wrx)?

A 02-05 will require somewhat heavy modification to fit, like hitting on the firewall, and shaving some metal from the end of the trottle body. If you can find one of the early jdm wrx slanted intersoolers it will fit quite nicely. As will a FXT intercooler.

EDIT::: You could also use a water to air unit from the early uk/jdm turbo legacy. But they require an water pump, and heat exchanger in addition to the intercooler unit.

A 02-05 will require somewhat heavy modification to fit, like hitting on the firewall, and shaving some metal from the end of the trottle body. If you can find one of the early jdm wrx slanted intersoolers it will fit quite nicely. As will a FXT intercooler.

EDIT::: You could also use a water to air unit from the early uk/jdm turbo legacy. But they require an water pump, and heat exchanger in addition to the intercooler unit.

Ok I'll look into that