Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dead dash clock

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:42 PM

85 wagon mech. dash clock has no time display. Lights on HMS buttons work, what's wrong?

#2 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:48 PM

mine used to turn on and off when i thumped it. i rewired and it worked just fine. it's only three wires: 12v constant, 12v switched, and a ground. very simple wiring job. that sounds like the easiest way around your problem. it might be all fried inside though. if the rewire doesn't work, go to the JY and get a "new" one. good luck

#3 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 05 December 2003 - 01:04 AM

the solders on the circuit board get stress cracks that corrode and break connection. You will have to resolder the connections on the board. All you need is a bit of solder and a soldering gun, you can redo the soldering while in the car, or you can unsolder the 3 wires then do it in the house. You just have to remelt the solders, no skill required. Theres a write up somewhere, and I had the EXACT same problem as you.

#4 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,957 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 05 December 2003 - 05:08 AM

http://www.ultimates...p?threadid=4702

Got the same problem here, in both BRATs.

#5 Danbob99

Danbob99

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Brier, Washington

Posted 07 December 2003 - 02:54 AM

Check your fuse box, there should be a fuse that runs your clock, dome light, and sometimes your stereo, that may be blown, simple fix and always a releifs it's not more serious.

#6 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,094 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2003 - 03:11 AM

Its very typical that the clocks dont work.. I remember test driving my car 6 years ago... we tested the horn and the clock magically came on :cornfuzz:

the clocks can cut in and out for the oddest reasons. Its no big deal. Good luck finding one that works... alot are bad, but there are afew good ones out there.

#7 Ma-fia

Ma-fia

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Dallas, TX, US

Posted 07 December 2003 - 03:28 AM

To add to the funny mysteries of Sub wiring:

When I forget that the heat does not work and try to turn it on, this action misteriously turns of my sterio...

#8 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 07 December 2003 - 03:32 AM

Now thats just cool.:D

#9 Ma-fia

Ma-fia

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Dallas, TX, US

Posted 07 December 2003 - 04:08 AM

what are we all doing in here at 3 in the morning?

#10 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 07 December 2003 - 04:09 AM

Very good question.. I just don't know:rolleyes:

#11 Ma-fia

Ma-fia

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Dallas, TX, US

Posted 07 December 2003 - 04:22 AM

It is way too addictive, isn't it. My better half is fast asleep for probably 4 hours by now! The fact of the matter is that I am glad I found Subaru brethern-crackheads.

#12 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 02 January 2004 - 02:05 PM

took out clock from dash completely, popped off case,
180 ohm resistor turned itself into 18
82 ohm ceramic turned black and crusty
all on right bottom corner

#13 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:25 PM

The clock in mine sorta works. As far as I can tell, there's three different display brightnesses that the EA82 clock works at - ignition off (super dim), lights on (dim), and lights off (bright). Mine seems to randomly work its' way through all three settings no matter what. Sometimes if I hit the brake it'll brighten back up from the super-dim setting. It also loses time when it's really cold.

So I just use the clock on my stereo :) .

#14 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:10 PM

90% of clock problems are due to cracked solder joints. If heat/cold, shock make a difference you know its a cracked solder joint. This applies to all electronics. Subiemechs happened to be a component failure. That is likely too, as these clocks get hot, and their heating and cooling is what causes the solder cracks.

#15 Karl

Karl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 02 January 2004 - 07:03 PM

thanks for the post!
I had rated my dash clock repair as a pretty low priority, but now, knowing how easy it is I think I'll give it a try this weekend!

Anyone else have their brake (light out) idiot come on intermittently? I'm thinking of taking a look at the unit in the wheel well (if that's where mine is) and see if there's anything obvious wrong, I hope the problem is there and not buried in the dash.

Happy New Year!
-Dok

#16 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 02 January 2004 - 07:17 PM

There is a plug that rests behind the glovebox. A blue or white connector(can't remember exactly) But you can unplug it and work on it where it's warm. Chances are it's just the solder as described above.

#17 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:20 PM

clock connector white with a blue dot 5 wires yellow, blue, red, black and red with black stripe
look by defrost duct area, behind glovebox
remove clock by prying at left and rigtht side, snaps out

#18 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:54 PM

I "fixed" mine free of charge :D
Had another successful J/Y run

#19 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:31 PM

To bad this link doesn't work anymore.

http://www.ultimates...p?threadid=4702

Got the same problem here, in both BRATs.

#20 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:38 PM

Ed, what prompted you to resurrect this thread? (I'm interested due to my sticky in MarketPlace.)

#21 karinvail

karinvail

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Skagit County

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:21 AM

I think my question to Ed via email is why the thread is resurrected :) My clock is dead and I'm trying to find a way to repair it. I like to do things myself (gives me a feeling of accomplishment), but I might have a look in the JY and see if I can come up with another one. This one has obviously been taken out before because the retaining clips in the dash are broken off :rolleyes:

I've been reading stuff on the board till my eyes are bleary.... the horn on my car is also dead, I wonder if the clock and horn have any corolation? Yes, I've checked the fuse - I pulled out every single fuse in that panel as one of the first things when I got the car - and all were good :)

#22 Dee2

Dee2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • US

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

I too had the dreaded dead dash clock but thanks to this thread and bushbasher's comments, I now have a working clock. Just a few minutes of simple soldering and it was done. :clap:

#23 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

That's some archeological search digging you did there to find this lol :headbang:

#24 psylosyfer

psylosyfer

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Northern Ca.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

the solders on the circuit board get stress cracks that corrode and break connection. You will have to resolder the connections on the board. All you need is a bit of solder and a soldering gun, you can redo the soldering while in the car, or you can unsolder the 3 wires then do it in the house. You just have to remelt the solders, no skill required. Theres a write up somewhere, and I had the EXACT same problem as you.

Exactly! cracked solder joints from temp variations, look close at back of ckt brd. Practice on junk or get help if you have not repaired boards before!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users