Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dead dash clock

mine used to turn on and off when i thumped it. i rewired and it worked just fine. it's only three wires: 12v constant, 12v switched, and a ground. very simple wiring job. that sounds like the easiest way around your problem. it might be all fried inside though. if the rewire doesn't work, go to the JY and get a "new" one. good luck

the solders on the circuit board get stress cracks that corrode and break connection. You will have to resolder the connections on the board. All you need is a bit of solder and a soldering gun, you can redo the soldering while in the car, or you can unsolder the 3 wires then do it in the house. You just have to remelt the solders, no skill required. Theres a write up somewhere, and I had the EXACT same problem as you.

Its very typical that the clocks dont work.. I remember test driving my car 6 years ago... we tested the horn and the clock magically came on :cornfuzz:

the clocks can cut in and out for the oddest reasons. Its no big deal. Good luck finding one that works... alot are bad, but there are afew good ones out there.

• 4 weeks later...

The clock in mine sorta works. As far as I can tell, there's three different display brightnesses that the EA82 clock works at - ignition off (super dim), lights on (dim), and lights off (bright). Mine seems to randomly work its' way through all three settings no matter what. Sometimes if I hit the brake it'll brighten back up from the super-dim setting. It also loses time when it's really cold.

So I just use the clock on my stereo :) .

90% of clock problems are due to cracked solder joints. If heat/cold, shock make a difference you know its a cracked solder joint. This applies to all electronics. Subiemechs happened to be a component failure. That is likely too, as these clocks get hot, and their heating and cooling is what causes the solder cracks.

thanks for the post!

I had rated my dash clock repair as a pretty low priority, but now, knowing how easy it is I think I'll give it a try this weekend!

Anyone else have their brake (light out) idiot come on intermittently? I'm thinking of taking a look at the unit in the wheel well (if that's where mine is) and see if there's anything obvious wrong, I hope the problem is there and not buried in the dash.

Happy New Year!

-Dok

• 1 year later...

I think my question to Ed via email is why the thread is resurrected :) My clock is dead and I'm trying to find a way to repair it. I like to do things myself (gives me a feeling of accomplishment), but I might have a look in the JY and see if I can come up with another one. This one has obviously been taken out before because the retaining clips in the dash are broken off :rolleyes:

I've been reading stuff on the board till my eyes are bleary.... the horn on my car is also dead, I wonder if the clock and horn have any corolation? Yes, I've checked the fuse - I pulled out every single fuse in that panel as one of the first things when I got the car - and all were good :)

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
the solders on the circuit board get stress cracks that corrode and break connection. You will have to resolder the connections on the board. All you need is a bit of solder and a soldering gun, you can redo the soldering while in the car, or you can unsolder the 3 wires then do it in the house. You just have to remelt the solders, no skill required. Theres a write up somewhere, and I had the EXACT same problem as you.

Exactly! cracked solder joints from temp variations, look close at back of ckt brd. Practice on junk or get help if you have not repaired boards before!!!!

• 9 years later...
On 3/1/2005 at 4:21 AM, karinvail said:

“the horn on my car is also dead, I wonder if the clock and horn have any corolation? Yes, I've checked the fuse - I pulled out every single fuse in that panel as one of the first things when I got the car - and all were good :)“ 

I am going to bring up this old thread, sorry!!

I’m new to the Subaru World, with my 1988 GL Wagon I recently got. I am not alien with Japanese Wiring, since I’ve Been working on my 84’ Toyota, but still, I’m asking and researching all I can before ripping into the Wagon. 
I as well don’t have a working horn or clock. Could they be related in anyway? On mine, the fuse for both the Horn, Clock and Hazard Lights are on the same fuse. Luckily, my hazards work. 
I’ll try the soder repair, and check the horns (under/behind the bumper?) and see what happens. 

Any Tips and Tricks would be greatly welcomed!!!