Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MAF bypass?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Port Moody, BC(Vancouver)

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

How exactly do I bypass the MAF in my car to add a different intake so It doesnt stall right when its started.

#2 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

Ive searched and all I get are jumbled ramblings by Bgd73.

#3 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,946 posts
  • NH

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

If it's a SPFI, unplug it. The engine will run like poo, but the PCM's limp mode works well enough to keep it running. If it's plugged in, it won't go into limp mode and it won't run.

#4 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

It is SPFI.

Can't I just trick it to so it thinks things are all good? Or somehow put the sensor in a different tube?

Reason is I want the filter right ontop of my intake. The rubber boot is so soft that it closes when i hit the gas.

#5 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,903 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:32 PM

nope, no way to trick it. Just get a new boot.

#6 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:33 PM

Ive searched and all I get are jumbled ramblings by Bgd73.

Yeah, its quite the nuisance.

#7 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:14 PM

You cannot bypass the maf sensor, your car will not run. You could get a boot to go between the tb and maf, and then a nissan maf adapter and non oiled cone filter and install it from there.

#8 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:32 AM

replace the piping between the tb and MAF with something solid....like PVC (yea, laugh all you want, but it'll work).

but if the ECU doesn't know how much air is going in (via the MAF), it won't know how much fuel to use.....which will cause many problems.

#9 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:36 AM

Cool. The nissan MAF adapter, is it the large piece of alluminum? I just dont like the Suby MAF because if funnels the air down to a hole the size of a Twoonie. Maybe the nissam MAF would be bigger, who knows.

#10 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:32 AM

Cool. The nissan MAF adapter, is it the large piece of alluminum? I just dont like the Suby MAF because if funnels the air down to a hole the size of a Twoonie. Maybe the nissam MAF would be bigger, who knows.

don't worry about it, the holes in your cylinder heads that let the air into the combustion chambers are smaller.

The car needs the MAF it came with.

#11 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,469 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

By chance has the *Subaru FI* plate been taken off off you're intake boot? If so that's you're problem. That emblem helps stiffen the tube. Just get a replacement intake tube that is intact. Or press and glue back in the old emblem if you still have it.

#12 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

I'm not meaning to use a nissan maf. What I'm talking about is an adapter that bolts to the stock maf, and allows use of conical type filters.

#13 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

By chance has the *Subaru FI* plate been taken off off you're intake boot? If so that's you're problem. That emblem helps stiffen the tube. Just get a replacement intake tube that is intact. Or press and glue back in the old emblem if you still have it.

bingo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users