Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AT was replaced about 35K ago and figured I'd do a drain and fill. I didn't think to check the level before the drain and simply replaced the 4 1/2 quarts that I got out. Drove it around and now the fluid level is about an inch above the hot high indicator. Is this crucial? Is it possible that it was overfilled all this time without causing problems?

Is the 4 1/2 quarts about right for the drain from the pan?

Do not run an A/T overfull. Aeration of the fluid can (didn't say will, said can) result and that's not a desirable situation. You won't grenade anything overnight, but just drain (or pump) a little out so that you're at the proper level.

It's unfortunately easy to get a false indication of the level. Here's my own procedure, which seems to work:

Drive until the fluid is sufficiently warm. Park on a level surface, leaving the engine running. Put the shifter through all the gear positions, then back to "Park". Pull the dipstick, wipe it, then wait a few minutes before reinserting it (this allows fluid on the dip tube walls to flow back to the pan). Pull it again, looking at both sides of the stick, and believe the one that shows the lower reading.

It's unfortunately easy to get a false indication of the level. Here's my own procedure, which seems to work:

Drive until the fluid is sufficiently warm. Park on a level surface, leaving the engine running. Put the shifter through all the gear positions, then back to "Park". Pull the dipstick, wipe it, then wait a few minutes before reinserting it (this allows fluid on the dip tube walls to flow back to the pan). Pull it again, looking at both sides of the stick, and believe the one that shows the lower reading.

Wow I like that waiting part. Never occured to me... makes sense :clap: