Ultimate Subaru Message Board

straight axle soob

ok so coming back from bratsrus the other day and lj and i were talking about if subaru made a car with straight axle well........:-p

i got to thinkig what if i took a subaru diff and used the stubs from the axles and wlded them to the diff so they came out straightmakinga solid axle(no u joints) and then useda thick walled paice of steel pipe to slide over the axle weld that to the diff forming a case for the axle. then have a sealed baring at the end to keep it in the center. put another stub on the outside end of the shaft.(this will go through the hub) thus making a sort of straigh axle you could weld shock mounts to the thick wall pipe and mount it under your soob. im thinking it would look like this.

untitled.jpg

i am the master of the paint program :lol: :lol: :lol:

or you could just geta set of straight axles :-p

I see several issues with this idea..first, the diff side covers weren't designed to bear weight. Second, when you blow it up, how are you gonna service it, with a plasma cutter? Third, there's gotta be about a billion mini-truck rear axles out there already, why pick on a poor little defenseless soob?

I see several issues with this idea..first, the diff side covers weren't designed to bear weight. Second, when you blow it up, how are you gonna service it, with a plasma cutter? Third, there's gotta be about a billion mini-truck rear axles out there already, why pick on a poor little defenseless soob?

you know though, having come from the dark side (read: the side of front and rear solid axle rigs like fords, toyotas and jeeps) I am enjoying the clearance that I have with a smaller tire.

if you are going to do that you might as well toyota axles b/c then you have a choice or gearing and real lockers.

Jerry-rigged stuff is usually b/c there are no feasible off the shelf solutions. If you can do it w/something designed and manufactured to do so. might as well save your pennies and get it b/c then there is one less thing to worry about trying to engineer right.

Here is one idea I have kicks around. Similar to a corvette's transverse leaf spring set up. Basically the rear is still independent to a point, then when you stress it, it will articulate like a solid. Not exactly sure how it will all come together or if it will work.

BW

post-2805-136027624302_thumb.jpg

the difficult part is not finding a rear axle, it's mounting one. save yourself the effort and just pick up a nissan or isuzu or yota rear axle. then you'd even have low gear options (assuming you're also doing divorced tcase), aswell as locker options

Some coupel of years ago, I went to PaP and checked on axles. I can't remember the exact year, but an older Carona had a solid axle in the rear with what appeared to be 3.9 gears in it. (we counted wheel/driveshaft turns)

It was small, and would probably mount with the same mounts from the Toyota.