Ultimate Subaru Message Board

extension radiator tank stays overfull...

Did radiator flush, changed thermostat and lower hose. I retighted one of the upper houses with regular aftermarket clamp (with a screw which threads on clamp itself... you know I think which one).

Everything seemed to be ok, ie no overhitting but no coolant from extension tank is sucked into the radiator. instead after car get cold overnight I have extension tank almost filled up to the cup, and radiator and hoses full of air (I do not hear any suction when I am opening pressure cap).

At first I thought that there is a hole in the hose which goes from the cap to extension tank. but I took mityvac and could suck in coolant and didn't see bubbling.

when I sucked out coolant from extension tank I could fill up through the radiator cap but there was more than 'MAX' left in extension -- I emptied pockets in the upper pipes but no guarantee that some are not in the engine block already.

I doubt that the hole is in radiator hoses since otherwise they would leak -- I would loose more of coolant I guess...

so is that simply a radiator pressure cap is bad somehow? but it seemed to work fine before my 'flush'... what else to look for?

Right on, the cap has to be in tip top primo condition.

I hope that aftermarket one I will get at AdvancedAuto is good enough... no time to wait for OEM to arrive

When you remove the radiator cap engine cold, is the coolant low, or is it right up there?

nope -- as I said I had to add most of the coolant in excess of full from the extension tank -- so there was quite a bit of air there.

I hope that aftermarket one I will get at AdvancedAuto is good enough... no time to wait for OEM to arrive

nope -- as I said I had to add most of the coolant in excess of full from the extension tank -- so there was quite a bit of air there.

STANT caps are the only aftermarket ones I would buy.

nipper