Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission Question??

Well i needed to move my sube out of the garage for a little while so i went out and started it before i put the front tires back on it, and even with it in park the front tires are spinning(the hubs) so as far as i know they shouldent spin with it in park, what does this mean? just backing up my diagnosis that the tranny is toast? or something more simple?

I have seen this before. If you get a couple of other member to duplicate you scenerio. Car on jacks front tires off and no E-brake. You will find that they will spin when the car is running.

What are the other symptoms that make you believe the trans is going out?

Well there are a few but then ive been thinking about it more lately and i dunno,

1) Popping Clicking and Pulling to the Right(Now im thinking this is prolly just the CV)

2) 4WD doesent work, but im kinda thinking this maybe be a wiring prob.

3) Once a while ago when i was still driving it, it wouldent go into reverse it was like it was stuck in drive no matter what gear i put it into, i played with the shifter a little bit and then it worked but ive had other cars with autos do that before so it dident worry me too much.

What do you think?

I'm not sure what it is or why it does that, but at the subaru shop that i work in, we will jack up the cars and on almost every car the wheels just start to spin slowly forward. You can grab the wheel and stop it, but they still just spin when you let go. Does it in neutral too...it's the weirdest thing, but i see it all the time.