Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So right now I'm restoring a Jeep for an auto shop. They said they would be willing to do a full tranny swap in trade for the labor on the Jeep. Anything they should know about this swap? (1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo AWD)

This mostly involves parts they will need. The mechanic seems to be good with Subaru's.

There was an excellent writeup on it around a while ago, but I'm not sure exactly where it was. I looked into it myself a while back, and it seems like it would be more cost effective just to buy a new car. I hope that whoever is doing it knows what they are getting into.

So right now I'm restoring a Jeep for an auto shop. They said they would be willing to do a full tranny swap in trade for the labor on the Jeep. Anything they should know about this swap? (1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo AWD)

This mostly involves parts they will need. The mechanic seems to be good with Subaru's.

You want to go to legacy central. There's a detailed write up there.

Nathan

There was an excellent writeup on it around a while ago, but I'm not sure exactly where it was. I looked into it myself a while back, and it seems like it would be more cost effective just to buy a new car. I hope that whoever is doing it knows what they are getting into.

hah, i dont know about that. I've never seen another Legacy Turbo that wasn't a rally car. And the last one i saw in the paper was selling for almost 6k. There a RARE item up here. Secondly I love this car so much that I'm probably going to be spending a lot more on it than its worth (not planning to get rid of it)

I will look into this more carefully though before doing this swap

Yea. To be honest, I don't think they will be capable to do this project. I'm just going to have to wait until college ends and get a different car (for transportation) and do it myself without it getting in the way of getting to work or whatever is in my life by then. Not because they can't, because it would be really hard for them to find all the parts, etc. I know they wouldn't be up for it.

So I know they made a version of my car with a 5 spd. I'm guessing there just INSANELY hard to find?? I really miss having a 5 spd. :( :(

I have to say though; I've owned a few automatics, and there usually sluggish, but this one gets right with it. If I was to stick with an auto and do some serious upgrades would this tranny withstand?? Its not that I'm to lazy to do it, but I'm thinking on practicality. If its hardly going to make a difference maybe its best to keep the auto.

It still is shifting pretty good. I recently changed the fluid and found some minute metal particles which is a definite sign of wear. None the less it still shifts perfect and has no problem going into gear etc. This is really puzzling me though...what to do, what to do

Thanks for your input guys, and for listening to me ramble

I've always preferred a manual transmission too, but found that the five-speed in my '93 Legacy was adequate but not enjoyable, and that the automatics in the '95 Legacy and '96 Outback are just fine: they both shift appropriately, and neither makes its engine seem any less powerful. There isn't any significant difference in fuel mileage, either. The Outback has 156,000 miles on the odometer, and its automatic is still performing very well. To each his own, but I'd leave the automatic in place unless there are problems with it.