Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

swapping out carter weber intake w/ hitachi set-up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

im doing this cuz i think i have a lot better of a chance with passin smog...is this an easy swap???......for a noob??? will this help me pass smog a little better?

-Dalton

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:43 AM

im doing this cuz i think i have a lot better of a chance with passin smog...is this an easy swap???......for a noob???

Short answer - not really for a noob, no. Hitachi's are the spawn of satan, and the C/W is actually easier to work on.

Get a Weber DGV. It will be cheaper once it's all said and done.

GD

#3 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

Short answer - not really for a noob, no. Hitachi's are the spawn of satan, and the C/W is actually easier to work on.

Get a Weber DGV. It will be cheaper once it's all said and done.

GD

GD i need something that can pass smog and one of the reasons i failed is becuase i was missing a hose.(visual inspection)...i dont think they will pass me if all the hoses are plugged off...plus i need a weber and i dont know where i can find one. if you know anybody who has one pm me.

-Dalton

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

The Weber's are availible new in a kit from Redline - K731 or K730 depending on EA81/82. They run about $375

Find another place to do the inspection that doesn't do a visual - not all do, and plenty from WA have smogged Weber'd EA81's - talk to Edrach I know he's done it.

Or retrofit the SPFI - it's not really as hard as it sounds, less expensive than a weber, and you'll easily pass a visual.

GD

#5 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

The Weber's are availible new in a kit from Redline - K731 or K730 depending on EA81/82. They run about $375

Find another place to do the inspection that doesn't do a visual - not all do, and plenty from WA have smogged Weber'd EA81's - talk to Edrach I know he's done it.

Or retrofit the SPFI - it's not really as hard as it sounds, less expensive than a weber, and you'll easily pass a visual.

GD

well thats what i'd really like to do is SPFI. but i'd need some help on that one ,and the only person that could help me with that is subieman and he's really busy.

i know where i could find parts tho:grin:

how much would you charge for a harness prep?
...im not made of money but i got a little, plus stuff to trade.

-Dalton

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

Sadly I really don't have time for making harnesses right now - I was going to make some but the intrest just isn't there. Not enough people that are skilled enough or that want it badly enough to swap from the Weber to the SPFI - even I am going to switch to MS in the future. I have vehicles needing work stacked up for the next 6 months at least - half of which aren't even mine :rolleyes:, and I've been working tons of overtime at work - four 16's in a row last week :eek:

GD

#7 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

i just started reading your spfi swap and nearly SH###T myself.

i need a weber, but i dont got 375$$$

-Dalton

#8 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:06 PM

You gotta start out somewhere man. Don't be scared of the spfi swap. Its one of the simplest motor upgrades you could do.

I will do the wiring and disty gear swap if you want.

#9 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

You gotta start out somewhere man. Don't be scared of the spfi swap. Its one of the simplest motor upgrades you could do.

I will do the wiring and disty gear swap if you want.

illl think about it....it would be cool if i could try it on some other car, maybe to see if i could get it to run right...

thanks for the encouragement

-Dalton

#10 opelsuby

opelsuby

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

I carumba. I know you gotta start somwhere, but methinks this isn't the job converting and all. Not for Noober.

#11 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:56 PM

well it turns out that its the exaust thats messing with me.....fun huh?

-Dalton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users