Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting A/C compressor for onboard air .. need info plz

Heya all, I was sure I had read somewhere that this could be done (can't find it anywhere with search), and something along the lines of ppl using old large size GM or Ford compressors? I would really like to figure out a way to have an A/C compressor fill a small tank from the cheezy little craftsman air compressor I have. I would invision some way of using the A/C switch in the cab and a switch that would interrupt this curcuit when the tank reaches optimal pressure so you don't have to worry about over pressurizing it by accident.

Anyone have a write-up on how it's done?

It's easy, you just need a York a/c compressor, a pressure switch from a compressor, and a high-temp line off the compressor head. Make sure to put a filter on the inlet as well. You will need to make a mount if it's gonig on a Subee though, since they never used a York compressor.

It's easy, you just need a York a/c compressor, a pressure switch from a compressor, and a high-temp line off the compressor head. Make sure to put a filter on the inlet as well. You will need to make a mount if it's gonig on a Subee though, since they never used a York compressor.

Not quite true...

this is a 74 wagon with one.

07_01_05_74_Wagon_005.JPG

They are pretty distinctive compressors, so they're easy to spot in the junkyard. Your stock compressor will burn out and seize with much heavy use on just straigt air unless you feed it oil pretty often.

Cool, thx for the info! Now I just need to find a york like the one that a guy is using in his toyota. Not sure how I will mount it up, but I will try to stay as close to the subaru compressor mounts as possible. :clap:

BTW once I am done doing this if anyone needs a good subie compressor mine is up for grabs just pay shipping. Hopefully I can get this done this week. :banana:

Funds are getting tight tho since my "free" trailer is costing me quite a bit more than I expected to get on the road. Gonna be close to $300 before all is said and done.:eek:

Now I just need to find a york like the one that a guy is using in his toyota.

Here's some info that might start you on your search...

"Some people use the OEM A/C compressor for their vehicle. Most people, however, use the York-style A/C compressors used by AMC, Ford, Volvo, Porsche, IH, and Oldsmobile in the '70's and early '80's"

linky

JY time!! :grin:

Hmmm the more I look at it, I think I would rather keep my stock compressor, add an oiler and not mess with fabbing some other compressor in. I will do some looking around at local used tool shops and see what is available.

I'm getting some pretty good info from the following links:

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/OBA/oba.htm

And:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=168402 (be sure to look near the bottom half for the up-dated wiring schematic)