Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alien in my driveway***Now I need HELP!***

Young friend of mine recently got a 91 Mitsubishi Galant VR4.

2.0 4G63 turbo, etc, yadayada.

The car is in great shape but the engine has a rod knock. So we are in the process of getting a rebuilt. These suckers are not cheap. A stock rebuild from PINA is almost $3K:eek: Found one on CL thats local, for $4K:rolleyes: But its been built up. Offered $3500 cash, hope to know in a few days or less if we have a engine or not. Heres a few pics.

VR4a.jpg

VR4b.jpg

Our friends down under call them "Bits-R-Missin"...Kinda fits if you ask me. *grins*

That said the Galant VR4 is a great find...DSM speed/agility in a user friendly 4dr package

Haha, thats funny. I'll have to mention that to the kid. We are suppposed to pick up the engine this Sat evening. Its a built up one, see my other thread.

Our friends down under call them "Bits-R-Missin"...Kinda fits if you ask me. *grins*

That said the Galant VR4 is a great find...DSM speed/agility in a user friendly 4dr package

Yes, I very often do call them bits-r-missin's.. But for some reason I held that back the other day....

Still, they go pretty hard.

So here I am pulling the hunk out of this thing, of course its a transvestite, I mean transverse engine:-p Do I have to pull the engine and tranny as one piece or can it be seperated? It does not look like I have enough room to slide the engine to the side enough so it can come off the tranny, etc. If the whole thing has to come out, it means more time... ie, more stuff to disconnect:-\

Man, how do I get talked into these jobs:rolleyes:

Brian, if your reading this.......its the last time buddy:Flame:

I'm sticking to Subaru.

Know whats ironic? He has a newer V6 Mustang right now and I looked at the engine yesterday. I could have pulled that out in a couple of hours:rolleyes:

Sad to tell you Rob, it has to come put as a unit. I've had so many transverse mounted removal and installs that it comes second nature to me. But axles, shift cables, driveshaft, and all that fun stuff has to be disconnected. You'll also have better luck getting it all out if you have a good balencer on the hoist, and let the tranny side hang lower than the motor side. And installgoes about the same way.

It hasn't been but maybe two months ago I put a motor into the black talon you can see in my pics of the XT here, so if you need any input along the way pm me and I can give you some help, or at least moral support.

As bratman said it has to come out as a whole unit. it is alot easier to take it out together then to seperate the tranny in the car. Make sure u mark all vacum line so they go back in the right place there are quite a bit of them on the 4g63t as for the wiring harness it will usually fall right back in place for each connection.

Rock-bottom easiest way is to drop it out the bottom, steering rack and all. Usually that's the only way to pull engines on compact fwd cars.

For this car in particular. it would require dropping the entire k-member, and the front and rear crossmembers it attaches to. I've done more motor swaps and tranny swaps(mostly in hondas) than some kids my age have seen neon lighting. Having an extra set of hands is helpful, but its not required to do it in the method I described.

Alrighty then, not what I wanted to hear. But glad I got to hear it before I really started yanking on it:rolleyes: The more I looked at it, the more sence it made to pull it all out at the same time.

So whats the trick on the axles? Is it anything like ours? Do I need to pull the bottom ball joint out, etc? I have a CD manual, I've already spent a couple of hours reading it. And of course it didnt mention anything about pulling both units together:-\

Drain the transmission fluid, remove lower ball joints, and pry the alxes out with a small pry bar. They are slip in style, held with a circlip like the 96+ rear axles on our cars. If the axles warrent replacement while you're doing this you'll have to remove the front strut mount fork from the lca and strut.

Yes thay are:mad: They suck to work on. I had to lift the engine just to get the last bolt on th ac compressor. Way to much stuff to disconnect:rolleyes:

The engine wont come out with just a chain from the hoist. I have to go to Harbor Freight today and get a load balancer because it has to be tilted almost vertically to get it all out.

If this was a Subaru, it would be back on the road by now.

• 2 weeks later...