Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat project

The Beast I Drive

Ok, so i was out in my yard on Sunday, and I was bored :banghead: . I looked over and saw my Brat sitting in the corner, wasting away :eek: , so i went over to it. Within minutes, i had half the front end off and the engine out :grin: . So I have decided that this will be my next Subaru project, and I want to end up with something like this:

08-22-07_1924.jpg

:headbang: This is just a crude sketch I did today, but that is basically what i want to do. Im going to built a complete frame, triangulated 4 link coil sprung suspension front and rear, Toyota axles, a 347 cid Ford stroker engine, C-6 Tranny, NP-205 transfer case, and fully custom roll cage and glasspack exhaust :banana: . wadda ya'll thank?

-Bill

Thing is, I'm a dyed in the wool Ford guy, until I found Subaru, so i have a lot of Ford stuff lyin around, so this will save me some money. And in the unlikely event that it breaks, I have parts to fix it. I'm not too concerned with weight, bein as how Brats really don't weigh much anyway, and that stroker motor will pull darn near anything. Glad you like that sketch, I'll have better ones and some pics later.

-Bill

Im going to built a complete frame, triangulated 4 link coil sprung suspension front and rear,
See now thats what I'm talking about.. I don't get it how everyone puts leafs in when from what I can see coil leading and trailing arms would be so much easier!

I'll keep an eye on this thread. Should be interesting seeing the finished (ha, projects can never get finished) product!

Great sketch too BTW. :)

See now thats what I'm talking about.. I don't get it how everyone puts leafs in when from what I can see coil leading and trailing arms would be so much easier!

I'll keep an eye on this thread. Should be interesting seeing the finished (ha, projects can never get finished) product!

COST.... thats why I am going with leafs... a 4 link is much much nicer and would probably work 10x better but its the cost that scares people away... I always hear people say we dont wheel subies cause we have lots of money... I am try'n to keep my cost down as much as possible so that maybe to influence others to do it...

Either way this build will be very interesting and i cant wait to see it rolling...

Alot more moving parts and geometry in front coils. Weld in a cross member and make some spring hangers done.

if your going to do coils dont leave the axles centered in the wheel well, I would push them as far towards the front and rear of the vehicle as possible, makes yorue approach angle alot nicer...

if you do want to have the axles in the stock location then I would suggest using coilovers, they cost a bit more but hell with the kind of money / time you want to put into this thing going for coilovers isn't to much more cost wise, might even be able to get away with airshocks depending on how streetable you want this thing to be..