Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High-centered

WoodsWagon

and tore off the exhaust and toppled the carrier bearing over on the driveshalft. It was on dirt too, I shudder to think what rock would have done.

I was making my way up a hill with pits dug into it to stop vehicles from driving through (it's a Class 6 road, legaly I can drive darn near anything through it, it's still a public way, just unmaintained.), and my spotter wasn't really looking at my clearances too well, so as I dropped into one of the pits, I high-centered. I folded the carrier bearing over far enough that it's outer ring was jammed into the bolts that hold the rear driveshaft on. Made interesting noises that I could hear over the brutally loud exhaust. We used a prybar I had to bend the carrier back far enough, and wired the exhaust up out of the way.

So now I think I should tie the carrier bearing blocks in with the auto tranny crossmember to give them some rigidity. Crushing that thing over was way too easy.

Anyone else done this before?