Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Realistic? Crazy D's dream project!!!*more questions* updated 9/5/07

crazy D

as you guys know i recently aquired a 1982 brat....i've been thinking and thinking of how i want this thing to perform and i'm getting some pretty cool idea's...im gonna list off what i want the finished project to look/sound like...

twin round headlight conversion from Gen 1 brat

custom roll bar, full length of the bed, mounted onto custom rear bumper

Canvas cover for roll bar

jump seats

3/2 in lift

5 lug conversion

sweet stereo

Ej22T with DOHC heads from ej20G.....or just an EJ20G

FT4WD XT6 tranny(d/r)? ...i don't know if they came D/r...but i would like D/r

27" all season tires

custom fabbed flare fenders

lots of lights

superlight 10 spoke wheels

3" exuast with hight flow cat and glasspack

legacy seats

rhino lined bed and interior

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

what do ya think?

its gonna be crazy finding all these parts but for now im focused on the motor, tranny, tires and lift. and im taking metal workings 2 all this year in high school so ill be able to work on the fenders and stuff....

did the XT6 come with D/R?

if not would the RX tranny hold up to that kind of power?

... if anybody can help me find this stuff to help me get started that would be cool...(maybe a parts car?:grin: ) i can trade stuff...:)

let me know guys

here's my picture i drew today....someone wanna post it up in the thread for me? http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16845&cat=500

-Dalton

I'm scared now. I get to fly across country for all of this. Looks like I better book a month...No d/r on the xt6, it is as close to an ej tranny as you can get without really having one.I would still consider finding an ej tranny because ot the much larger clutch options availible. Most anything to handle great ammounts of power for an ea/er tranny will have to be a custom job. If you want to get by without modifying the chassis rails you can just get the ej22t heads ported. I dunno about the whole big rollbar, if you're gonna go that big, think exoskelton.I'm probably think up some other stuff but its been a rough week.

It is possible to build a 3.9 FT4WD box with a 1.59 to 1 low gear, but you need a standard EA82 PT box or a EJ D/R box and EA82 low range gearset, and XT6 S/R FT box.

Little hint here: After I get the auto locker for the R160 diff made I might be looking at getting some lockable EJ centre diffs made for a small fortune.. We'll see.. hehehehe

It is possible to build a 3.9 FT4WD box with a 1.59 to 1 low gear, but you need a standard EA82 PT box or a EJ D/R box and EA82 low range gearset, and XT6 S/R FT box.

Little hint here: After I get the auto locker for the R160 diff made I might be looking at getting some lockable EJ centre diffs made for a small fortune.. We'll see.. hehehehe

thomas,.......your crazy!

i know this is gonna sound really dumb too......but im a total noob to the world of mechanics.....so this is gonna be a fun one:grin:

-Dalton

Yeah, I have to admit its quite complex when you accidentally pull a synchro apart and need it back together... But it's not hard, just need to learn how it works and then it's all easy.. Just a bit time consuming.

You can get a standard 3.7 ratio FT4WD box from a turbo EA82 and just use an adapter plate, but you still have to put up with crappy 1.19 to 1 low range..

I do suggest getting a junker gearbox and pulling it apart before you take the job of a multiple gearbox build on. I got my self pretty deep in a few places...

as you guys know i recently aquired a 1982 brat....i've been thinking and thinking of how i want this thing to perform and i'm getting some pretty cool idea's...im gonna list off what i want the finished project to look/sound like...

twin round headlight conversion from Gen 1 brat

custom roll bar, full length of the bed, mounted onto custom rear bumper

Canvas cover for roll bar

jump seats

3/2 in lift

5 lug conversion

sweet stereo

Ej22T with DOHC heads from ej20G.....or just an EJ20G

FT4WD XT6 tranny(d/r)? ...i don't know if they came D/r...but i would like D/r

27" all season tires

custom fabbed flare fenders

lots of lights

superlight 10 spoke wheels

3" exuast with hight flow cat and glasspack

legacy seats

rhino lined bed and interior

It's a lot like the FrankenBRAT project.

The hardest thing to find will be XT6 rear 5 lug stuff. The front you can use EJ stuff. You might want to consider using an XT6/EA82 engine crossmember to get the power steering. MMMMMMMMMM POWER STEERING. Also w/the EJ stuff you will need to extend your control arms to get the camber right and the axles to fit, so that means welding.

The magnitude of this project is not for the faint of heart. You are doing an EJ swap, a 5 lug swap on an EA81, installing a lift, a tranny swap and a lot of custom work to make it all work. One of these projects on the BRAT would be big. Doing all of them at once is a real PITA.

It took me 10 months to get to the point where the BRAT is at. I still need to make some custom tranny mounts b/c they are starting to rip from the crossmember b/c of the bigger engine.

Count the cost before you start. This can be a great project or it can be a big flop. If you can't weld, might want to befriend someone who can or learn how to weld.

I think that you can do it, my only concern is that you bit off more than you can chew and then get pissed and discouraged and give up on the project. I had two XTs that I was trying to work on when I first was wrenching on soobs. Both of them are gone the way of the boneyard.:-\

I am always willing to help w/the swap when you start it. PM me when you have things underway so I can give you my telephone number

Overall it would be an awesome BRAT. I would love to see it come to be.

BW

I would still consider finding an ej tranny because ot the much larger clutch options availible.

the awd ej trans uses the same clutch disk as the 4wd ea trans. the only difference is depending on what engine you have, youll have adifferent flywheel and pressureplate. i think the disks are both a 1" X 28spline input shaft size. eh, either way, it was a lot cheaper for the clutch to go through brake a nd clutch of ashville. for the stage 2 clutch kit for my rx i paid less than the stock replacement from advance auto.

i think im going to go with the fulltime 4wd RX trans and adapter plate to ej(and jerry's tranny kit) and do a ej22 n/a and put a turbo on it with mild boost(5 lbs.) or so.

im not tooo concerned about the 5 lug...in fact i might just use stiffer springs and shocks, for better handling...(remember...still a noob) so the easier the better

i think its goona be fun....i just need a good parts car...

any more helpful suggestions?

-Dalton

If I were you D, go with the suspension and brake upgrades first, before any extra EJ is put into there. If you decide to put the EJ in there, the stock brakes will hold but remember, they were stopping a car powered by an 80hp EA81, not some 200hp EJ.... This is also why I wanted to do my 5-lug swap on my SPFI coupe before anything else.:-p

If I were you D, go with the suspension and brake upgrades first, before any extra EJ is put into there. If you decide to put the EJ in there, the stock brakes will hold but remember, they were stopping a car powered by an 80hp EA81, not some 200hp EJ.... This is also why I wanted to do my 5-lug swap on my SPFI coupe before anything else.:-p

i want to do a five lug swap, but i just dont think i have wat it takes yet....didnt you do a write up on one too?

bump to the top for a pic i drew:grin:

-Dalton

i want to do a five lug swap, but i just dont think i have wat it takes yet....didnt you do a write up on one too?

bump to the top for a pic i drew:grin:

-Dalton

I sure did. I've actually had a few PMs about a 5-lug conversion on an EA81 as well. The rear is easy, just like doing a rear disc swap so the same parts are needed but from an XT6, not just a regular EA82T. The front you might be able to get away with swapping the top hats from the EA81 onto XT6 struts but if not, you'll have to redrill the strut towers to accept the EA82/XT6 3 stud tophats. Then its just a matter of the control arms because the ball joint is bigger around then the EA82/EA82. I've heard you can ream out the control arm to accept it but thats pretty scary, probably be better to make some custom control arms instead.

I sure did. I've actually had a few PMs about a 5-lug conversion on an EA81 as well. The rear is easy, just like doing a rear disc swap so the same parts are needed but from an XT6, not just a regular EA82T. The front you might be able to get away with swapping the top hats from the EA81 onto XT6 struts but if not, you'll have to redrill the strut towers to accept the EA82/XT6 3 stud tophats. Then its just a matter of the control arms because the ball joint is bigger around then the EA82/EA82. I've heard you can ream out the control arm to accept it but thats pretty scary, probably be better to make some custom control arms instead.

That and the XT6/EJ front hubs have a different spindle than the BRAT. When I mean by spindle is the part that bolts to the hubs. I had to use the axles from a FWD Impreza. The DOJ splines match the EA81 tranny and the outer splines match the XT6 set up. I have to lengthen my control arms by 1 inch to get the camber correct. I have less than 1000 miles on it so I don't want to say that I did it right.

BW

hey, i just had metal workings today, and my teacher said he can get me an EJ18 block with all the sh##T on it for 250$

i want to put like 15lbs of boost in this baby.... could i do that?

shannon said i should use ej22T heads for lower compression....=more boost.....yes?

oh, and should i run turbo pistons? .....off of what model?

-Dalton