Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD speed question???????

Hey Biffany, looks like you got the same rigs as me, 80 GL Brat & 82 DL Brat. Kewl.

I've had the 80 with the 1600 and single range tranny up to 65 in 4WD with no probs, have shifted it in and out on the freeway cause of snow and ice, no probs.

The single range's are high range 4WD only so it's not a problem, and they are syncro'd so they shift fairly smoothly, unless you bind up the drivetrain (i.e. driving on dry pavement).

i don't think there is a problem with the push button either. a guy i know was raving about his justy w/push button. he said he used it on the interstate all the time. i'd assume that your XT won't be too different. just listen to the engine and feel what your car is telling you. that should be a pretty strong governing force.

As far as driving speeds the justy and the XT may share the fact that you can go any speed in 4WD, but the Justy is COMPLETELY different mechanically. For one thing the Justy is a transverse mouned 3 cylinder, with a PTO going to the rear on 4WD models. The tranny in the the Justy is a way different beast (and unique among subarus).

GD