Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

4WD speed question???????

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 biffanyus

biffanyus

79 Brat

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Posted 05 December 2003 - 09:49 PM

Whats the fastest you can go with single-range 4WD?????

#2 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 05 December 2003 - 10:01 PM

As fast as the car can go, I guess. You're talking pushbutton? I have had my XT in 4WD up in the 60-70 range without problems...

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 05 December 2003 - 10:08 PM

No - he's talking about single range 4WD - lever actuated. Not pushbutton. Those are low gear only right? If so the manual says don't exceed 40 MPH in low range. If it's high only - then as fast as you can go really - I've done 90 or more.

GD

#4 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,157 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 05 December 2003 - 11:22 PM

the gen1 4WD is high, but I think manual says no more than 50...

there was someone on the board a while back who had their son or somebody drive like 70 with it in 4WD, and it trashed the trans....

#5 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 05 December 2003 - 11:27 PM

Hey Biffany, looks like you got the same rigs as me, 80 GL Brat & 82 DL Brat. Kewl.
I've had the 80 with the 1600 and single range tranny up to 65 in 4WD with no probs, have shifted it in and out on the freeway cause of snow and ice, no probs.
The single range's are high range 4WD only so it's not a problem, and they are syncro'd so they shift fairly smoothly, unless you bind up the drivetrain (i.e. driving on dry pavement).

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 December 2003 - 02:55 AM

Huh - for some reason I was thinking they were lo range only. Too bad - guess I'll have to swap in a D/R when I get my Gen 1.

GD

#7 86Xtturbo

86Xtturbo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Posted 07 December 2003 - 12:53 AM

is there a limit on how fast my bush button 86 xt can go?

#8 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 07 December 2003 - 01:00 AM

i don't think there is a problem with the push button either. a guy i know was raving about his justy w/push button. he said he used it on the interstate all the time. i'd assume that your XT won't be too different. just listen to the engine and feel what your car is telling you. that should be a pretty strong governing force.

#9 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 December 2003 - 01:59 AM

As far as driving speeds the justy and the XT may share the fact that you can go any speed in 4WD, but the Justy is COMPLETELY different mechanically. For one thing the Justy is a transverse mouned 3 cylinder, with a PTO going to the rear on 4WD models. The tranny in the the Justy is a way different beast (and unique among subarus).

GD

#10 86Xtturbo

86Xtturbo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Posted 07 December 2003 - 01:07 PM

i plan on racing with my xt and i wanted to do it 4wd but i had read at the beginning of this post that it can damage the tranny and was just wondering if i would be able to go any speed(120+).lol

Mr. Nguyen
Sioux Falls, SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users