Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

got a camper shell for BRAT what do you thinK?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:27 AM

opinions. Keep it on... put in the garage for future use?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 tsutomu

tsutomu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • CAMARILLO

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:37 AM

well.. it doesnt look bad, but i took mine off, and im thinking about selling it, and putting some kind of roll bar

#3 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:55 AM

I'm just going to come out and say this finally. I really don't like the look of those canopies... If you want a wagon, get a wagon.
Now you can flame me.

P.S. that buggy is SICK! How does it get drive to the rear wheels? Is the axle missing?

#4 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:18 AM

I say paint it blue; and maybe cover that black area behind the window on it with a piece of diamond plate :grin:

As for on or off.. Honestly, if I ever have a truck, I think I would like to use it like a convertible.. sometimes top, sometimes no. My brother had a topper that went onto his 86 nissan and came off with relative ease.. MUCH easier with two people, but theoretically possible single handed. Any chance of engineering a setup where it could vary with your mood and needs?

BTW, while I am at it, Phiz.. are camper tops like that as common on normal pickups down there as they are in the states?

#5 Bucky92

Bucky92

Drive Fast, Take Chances

• Members
  • 3,664 posts
  • New Milford

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:56 AM

I like it..that low topper looks nice.

And Phiz...I used to not be fond of the toppers...until I bought my first truck ( my Ranger) and was using it as a daily..there are times they are good to have...Like when i had my Toyota ( I hated that truck) ..it came with a topper..I took it off but when I took a looonnngg trip with my dirtbike..I needed some way of seciring the dike while at the motel...tossed the topper back on and locked it..bike was safe ( it was a high one and when the bikes suspension was compressed it fit under nicely)

Also ...it if wasnt for Brat toppers..there would be alot more rusted out Brat beds and destroyed jump seats

#6 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:49 AM

BTW, while I am at it, Phiz.. are camper tops like that as common on normal pickups down there as they are in the states?

Yeah, pretty common.. Heres a Brumby only a hundred kms or so away from me forsale http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

You see the toppers on many other trucks as well. My brothers 4runner has one, but thats different as it is really just a fiber roof for a wagon (because theres no wall between the tray and the cabin.)

As for what you said Conney, I'd just use a huge chain and lock, but that's cos I really don't like the look of the toppers. And heres the solution to the other problem you talked about, rust: http://offroadingsub...mby_rollbar.jpg & http://offroadingsub..._back_beach.jpg
Tonneau cover!

Yes, I'm a ricer, I take look over practicality!

#7 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:10 AM

Cool sunroof. Thats a different looking camper though.

#8 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the replies.

i am kinda split 50/50. I like the way the BRAT looks as a truck b/c it's really a truck. But the shell is good b/c then i can put crap in there and not worry. Also I can tell people oh... I can't help you move b/c I have a camper :grin: . (I guess I can also use the line I can't help you move b/c I have a lift.)

I would have preferred a high topper, but the camper shell was a trade with Scott F. I gave him some leftover EA81 stuff to get it. Maybe w/some fiberglass for sheetmetal....hmmm....

The buggy in the back is has a swing arm w/a chain drive. Here are some pics of the rear setup. Go to here if you want to see pics of the buggys setup.
http://i81.photobuck...an/IMG_0224.jpg
http://i81.photobuck...an/IMG_0226.jpg
http://i81.photobuck...an/IMG_0225.jpg

#9 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

I havent seen that style yet, I think its neat. Has a look that makes the Brat fast:-p
Being in SoCal, rust is not a issue. I'm going to put my topper back on because my bed is covered in surface rust now:-\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users