Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA-82 4WD linkage ?'s

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

So, I have not been able to make it to a 'yard for awhile, but had a friend drop by a few pieces of linkage from his collection.
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

#2 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

Bum-pi-ty

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,587 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

:rolleyes:

The car that it attaches to?

nipper

#4 j2coe

j2coe

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • colorado springs

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:24 PM

might work better with the rest of the car. what are you doing with it? replacing another one, do you have the original out of your car? swapping a different tranny? kind of need a story to go woth the part.

#5 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

Sorry, I guess I just thought some people might remember my previous postings on swapping a D/R into my Loyale, the pics of the D/R without linkages, etc.

This linkage is from a EA-82 D/R trans, not sure of the year though.

#6 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:28 AM

There is the bracket that the linkage pivots on. The two bolts that hold the rubber mount to the back of the main shifter plate also hold a bracket for that rubber bushing in the D/R handle. You need this bracket, as the loyale will not have it.

#7 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

Kinda what I thought. I'm guessing you kinda need to remove it from underneath too, right?

#8 hyrysc

hyrysc

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Fair Grove

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:32 PM

:rolleyes:

The car that it attaches to?

nipper

bwhahahahaaa:lol:

#9 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

OK, got me some more:
Posted Image
Posted Image

That should do 'er, right? Are those two studs on top of the 4WD lever pivot for a switch?

#10 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, there is a contact switch that mounts up top. I don't think it is required, but you might want a second opinion...

There may be a few misc. pieces you'll still need to finish the job. Depending on what came with your D/R, you may need a mounting bracket that hold the shifter rod in place. Also, there is a spring underneath that ties the shift rod to the housing. Don't forget all the bushings and stuff that always seems to get misplaced anytime you do a conversion.

Good Luck, John

#11 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:24 PM

Thanks John. My D/R is from a newer car, so all indicator light switches are on the tranny.
I think I've got it covered now, thanks for the input. (unless anyone else has something to say)

#12 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

I don't know if you've done the pedal box and speedo yet (A/T conversion?), but I always treat those items as if they are part of the D/R "linkage" conversion.

Namely, you'll want to look at the clutch cable, and replace if necessary, before bolting up the pedal box. The old cable is often frayed, and the end fastener assembly corroded. These cables can be difficult to replace by crawing under the dash.

Also, I would make sure both ends of the correct speedo cable are intalled before buttening up your steering column, and bolting the tranny completely. Speedo cables are also difficult to replace after the fact, and screwing them into the tranny can be frustrating.

good luck, John

#13 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

Mine's already a 5spd, pushbutton. Just need the low range!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users