Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trademe NZ $1 GSR!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was just running through the ads on trademe and i have to say you guys are extremly lucky to live in NZ! :burnout: almost all the subes are turbo!! we didn`t get the wrx until 2002 sti until 2004.

oh, and i sent out for a few quotes on shipping the gsr for haha's.

was just running through the ads on trademe and i have to say you guys are extremly lucky to live in NZ! :burnout: almost all the subes are turbo!! we didn`t get the wrx until 2002 sti until 2004.

oh, and i sent out for a few quotes on shipping the gsr for haha's.

dude!!! you should get this thing, you would be such a pimp in that thing! i would snatch it up if it were here.

-Dalton

Well done.

I imagine the front brakes will be solid disk not too different from your ute.

I reckon you could go down with something strongish and a towing dolly, dismantle the caliper and just tow it home. Nice and light = easy to tow, no need for 2nd driver.

Probably 1400 twin carb.

I think at this point me and my Dad are going to bring it back with a tandem trailer.

I talked to the guy on the phone and asked a few Q's.

He didn't know if it was twin carb or not. Has never had the bonnet open:-\

He did say it was helluva fast before he parked it for ~12months and the battery went flat. Apparently he just drove it home, and didn't really do anything to it.

Lets hope the Rego is in fact on hold, there is infact no rust, and it will fly through its wof with a rebuilt caliper.

Thanks for the heads up Cubastreet, I'd missed that to be honest, wouldn't have bidded though if you said you'd wanted it. As it is, I've probably pissed someone off, but they stopped bidding at $45 so its ok I suppose, $46 is still an awesome deal I feel.

Now--- I need to learn quickly about GSR's!

Whats the issue about wet lined cylinder sleeves or something and not liking to sit for too long (12months for instance).

Score of the Year! :banana:

GSR = disk front brakes,twin carbs

If it is rotting out you still have one excellent parts car. I'd buy the twin carb set up as long as its complete for way more than what you paid for the car.

BTW,please help me out and send some pictures. Mostly want the twin carb set up and all the brackets,linkage,etc. associated with it.

And in turn,keep in mind that I have some new old stock for early 70's Subarus. ;)

i"m glad to hear the car got to someone from this forum so we could see whats the future holds for that car.

for the buyer you got the deal of the millenium!!

me and my friend tried to combine all kind of,just to bring this car here but its very very difficult...

this is a great car to drive,and if you"de like to sell those fender mirrors let me know....

good luck elad

Great score waimaks!

Don't worry too much about the brakes as parts are readily available. I have just recently installed remanufactured calipers and rotors on my 78 wagon. The calipers I purchased from eBay (US) and the rotors should be easy to source locally.

Your GSR should also have a brake booster fitted as standard, unlike my GL which only has the disc brakes. (I have sourced a booster from a Brat but it may take a little bit of modification to fit. Ahh... the joys of old Subies!

Hmmm... Twin carbs:slobber:

Cheers

Lee

Now--- I need to learn quickly about GSR's!

Whats the issue about wet lined cylinder sleeves or something and not liking to sit for too long (12months for instance).

12 months is not really too long for a Subaru engine to 'sit'. However in my experience it is the rubber seals for the camsaft and the oil pump that tend to go hard (My wagon sat for nearly 5 years in my parents garage). Once the motor is running again (in my case - after 3 to 4 weeks) oil starts to leak from everywhere! :eek: It is pretty simple to fix but as I said, I doubt 12 months is long enough. Hopefully you will find it is all OK.

From my understanding (here in Australia, anyway) the GSR was notorious for blowing head gaskets. In fact a lot of publications I have read over the years suggest the extra 20% horspower (thanks to twin carbs and a higher compression ratio) of the GSR made them far more prone to head gasket issues than the rest of the subaru range.

The EA63 and the EA63S engines had cast iron cylinder liners with an alloy block. As the motor would heat up the cylinder liners and block would expand at different rates due to the different metal. Hence the block would expand (stretch) and blow the head gaskets.

I think some of this reputation for head gasket issues was also the result of engine rebuilders not replacing the 4 copper ring shaped gaskets that sit at the bottom of the cast iron cylinder liners. These gaskets came in various different thicknesses (my FPM lists 11 sizes from 1.03mm to 1.14mm) and I believe (I'm not a mechanic!!) they ensure the cast iron cylinder liner is level with the alloy block so the head gasket seals correctly.

Phew... Sorry for the long post I do tend to ramble when I get going!:grin:

Those copper rings are shims.They came in various thickness. I have some NOS of those so keep it in mind.

Most oldtimers here say because the 1300 was punched out to make the 1400 that the walls of the cylinders were just too thin and allowed more heat to transfer to the heads. The 1300 has the same liners. Same for the 1000 and 1100.

But yes,the twin carbs don't help the heat.

I'm not 100% sure about this yet but I might just be installing a 1600 in my '73 GL1400 Coupe

Does the GSR have a fivespeed?

Most oldtimers here say because the 1300 was punched out to make the 1400 that the walls of the cylinders were just too thin and allowed more heat to transfer to the heads. The 1300 has the same liners. Same for the 1000 and 1100.

But yes,the twin carbs don't help the heat.

I'm not 100% sure about this yet but I might just be installing a 1600 in my '73 GL1400 Coupe

Does the GSR have a fivespeed?

Yeah my post may have implied that only the 1400 had wet sleeve liners, which of course is not the case.

Subaru did not offically export cars to Australia until 1973 (around July!) so there were only a limited number of early 360 and 1100 (possibly some 1000) models brought in by private importers until 1971 (changes to seat belt regulations meant Subarus could no longer be sold). Hence my knowledge is limited on these.

In Australia the GSR only came with the four speed gearbox(New Zealand may be different, they seem to have a lot of GSRs). The five speed was introduced in 1975 with the GF hardtop (twin carbs & 5 speeds). The GSR was then dropped from the line-up!:mad: I think this also coincides with the change in the exhaust valve position of the EA63 engine. One article I have states the exhaust ports were moved for better cooling. I wonder if the later EA63 is not as prone to head gasket issues?