Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trademe NZ $1 GSR!!!

The more long winded information filled posts the better. Keep em coming guys. Just checking computer before we go pretty soon hopefully, Getting the trailer and allsorts ready, I wish I could drive it back.. Its a good drive.

One step at a time John:rolleyes:

Lets not get too excited yet.:cool::dead:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK wednesday morning before work, might try and get the car off the trailer, got it home in the dark late last night.... Still can't get the bonnet open.

BUT OMFG its pretty straight, like been mildly restored at least 5 yrs ago.

Can see chrome rocker covers from underneath her. So hoping for a fresh engine too. Pictures in maybe another 24-48ish hours, will be too busy next few days to do much.

The guy was real awesome about it too, he was a collector so to speak of older Japanese stuff, The GSR was the only one that wasn't in a shed and all looked after. He just about wouldn't take the money for it.

Excitement building!

Small update, just got home, pitch black. The car is still there on the trailer hitched to the brumby 4rofls. Loosened the tie downs to find a little paint damage over the front fenders where one has rubbed, not too major though.

Keep in mind 90% of looking over it has been early morning light or with the aid of a full moon (and this stupid lunar exclipse or whatever we had the other night.).

Also, looking under the car again, some one has cut a small bit of rust out from the looks in the passengers floor, but forgotten to weld a bit back in....

So maybe a 150X150mm square hole in the floor with carpet poking through that'll need patching up too.

Called into the ex Subaru agent next door to my work during lunch, and scored a '75 Parts book too, Earlyest one they had.

Car also came with a Clymers manual I think and a spare unknown carb in the boot.

I'm yet to get the bonnet open though, That will be this weekends mission, open bonnet, check fluids etc, charge battery, weekend is very busy already though... Arr I will have to make some time somewhere.

Oh, and get it off the trailer....

And finally. I found this morning when attempting an early morning photoshoot, that Mum has taken the camera with her while travelling overseas--- Duh!

So I might splash out and buy a digital camera of my own tomorrow in my lunch break if I can manage it.

I REAALLY wanna take some improptu days off work now so I can get a bit done. If only I could store it at work and use the facilities there.

But yeah, an update. But not really an update.

It has 4 seatbelts. They are non retracting and to be honest look ancient and unsafe, I will see what the vehicle inspector says about it all.

The weather better be good this weekend..

Does the GSR have a fivespeed?

Missed this one. It appears to be a 4 speed.

Also, looked up the rego and it is still within the timeframes for me to register easily once the ownership gets in my name and it passes inspection, thats good news for those not familiar with NZ vehicle licencing.

EDIT:

Also, nearly a 7k redline, like I'd say 6.7-6.8ish. I nearly lost the plot when I saw that.

Ok! Brought a new camera today, so uploading (attempting to) some pictures as we speak. The GSR's battery is on charge tonight and I've taken tomorrow off work and bought my tools home for my long weekends tinkering.

Got the bonnet open, release cable is definately seized up, but theres plenty of room above the grill to pop the catch with long screwdriver.

Sad to say, but It does not have the dual carb motor. So I'm thinking it must've been repowered at some time in its life. That'd also explain the spare carb in the boot...:-\

Pictures will follow soon, and maybe a happy update by the end of tomorrow.

Any questions/advice?

Shame about the missing twin carb set-up but that is still one mighty fine coupe! (pretty cool Brumby too!)

waimaks, it would be interesting to know the exact date of manufacture. the trademe link said '72ish' but the dasboard photos look more like my 74 coupe. I know the GSR had the roof console but what is the little black box with what appears to be red lights?

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber:... infinity........

Wow. I have a hard time finding the appropriate words. You were blessed,consider that to be fact. :headbang:

Oh well,so it's got a single carb. We'll forgive you.;) You've got one sweet little buzzbomb there. We had plenty of them -the 1400's- and although problematic with the headgaskets they are one of the greatest "Fun Per Dollar" vehicles I've ever owned.

I should have a complete bonnet cable assy. for you. Make your list,communicate with me,and I'll do my best for you.

Power door locks ???? !!!!!!!!!!:slobber: That'll be one item I can't help you with. Can't recall when we fist saw those here but it wasn't in our EA71 cars,not any that we ever had,let alone an EA63 car.!!

Man,I'm so tickled,sorry but I probably have a million things to say but just can't. Congratulations once again!

If it'll fit an ea81 without mods I'd put one in, then blueprint the 1400. Perhaps o-ring the heads and block, find another set of twin-carbs or maybe even find a little set of weber or dellorto downdraughts (are the heads twinport?) and throw that back in when it's all done. That way you'd get an awesome project but not have to have the car sitting around.

Alright, friday morn. The battery seems to be accepting a little bit of charge so maybe some luck there.

Buuut. I'm thinking the reason I'm missing the whole dual carb bizzo is because someones slotted an EA71 in there. Thats right folks, its a 1600 GSR, with I suspect one of the dual carbs on it, and the second dual carb is in boot.

So maybe it'll still go semi hard. Just not GSR hard. The PVC system looks to be a bit of a mess, eg blocked off rocker covers, just some hoses not going anywhere, so I've got my work cut out for me. No air filter for some reason.

She runs!

Not at first, but after a little splash of gas down 'er throat shes purring.

Once I got the clutch freed up she drives ok too.

Freed all the brakes up and bled them up.

Now for the bad, not much bad, just little things..

• Throw out bearing on clutch sounds like its dying, screeches when depressed and groans randomly at idle.
  • Cool fans not kicking in automatically - No biggie probably -Notice the extra fan directly behind the grill also!
  • Assorted lights out - Meh No biggie
  • Appears to be some play in the steering rack - Feels kinda suspect when travelling at over 90km/h
  • Brake booster is just a big vaccum leak when you depress the brake, engine starts to die a little.
  • Brakes are a little suspect feeling still, new booster might clear that up a bit, takes a decent amount of foot pressure to slow the car up.
  • The hole in the floor:lol:

• Covered in dust cobwebs and pollen-- Thats causing me the most grief at the moment but hey.
  • Exhaust leak at the one muffler.

Anyway, I might go and take some more pictures and give it a wash while I try and charge a different battery.

It runs real nice though, smooth idle, good throttle responce.

Interesting.

fixed the cooling fan issue. Got thinking and realized it didn't have an earth from the Rad to the body. 2 screws and a bit of wire and she'll now cycle nicely at mid range on the gauge. I wouldn't mind getting the other fan (behind grill fella( working at the same time though just for peace of mind though and so things cycle a bit quicker.

Battery holds a bit more charge, so theres some hope, not the end of the world if its Fubar'd tho.

Gave the outside a wash too, so much pollen and filth.

I might stick one of the old kidney bean type air filter housings on it, I like them better than the round one. Depends which air filter is cheapest maybe.

PVC system is still all over the place, one rocker cover vents directly to the intake... Not sure if thats normal. And vacuum advance is going nowhere currently.

Anyone have any idea about interchangablity of the Master Cylinder and Booster with say, an '81 Brat?