Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA81 Driver's Side Radiator Fan Doesn't Come On

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

Apprentice to Subie Gurus

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Marooned in Oregon City

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

Ok, I noticed this a while back but sorta put it out of my mind since I never had a true heat problem. My Passenger side fan comes on when ever the temp goes a little above the second mark (just over half-way) but when I was pushing the engine pretty hard this last week end, I had to stop and cool things down after going up some pretty steep and hard trails, and the driver's side fan never came on. Are the controlls for these fans the same or is there a separate heat sensor for each?

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,124 posts
  • WA

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

No its not. Its supposed to come on after the A/C kicks in and the extra cooling is needed. I've added this secondary fan on all my turbo cars and have it wired to come on the same time as the regular cooling fan. You may want to add a relay and seperate power to this curcuit, as it pulls more power off the curcuit and can overload it.

#3 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

No its not. Its supposed to come on after the A/C kicks in and the extra cooling is needed. I've added this secondary fan on all my turbo cars and have it wired to come on the same time as the regular cooling fan. You may want to add a relay and seperate power to this curcuit, as it pulls more power off the curcuit and can overload it.

Ahhh hmmm, right now I temporaryly have a jumper from the old high beam wiring (my new "high beams" are the off-road lights with their own separate circuit) to the fan with a fuse. I guess I will have to see about getting a relay as well. Not really up on wiring, can you just put in the relay in series or do I need to make a separate circuit? I've not put in a new radiator yet (switched in a used one that seems to be better from an EA81T that I flushed with a kit) and that is on the list with new adjustable front struts. For now I have it set up so that the drivers side fan runs when the ignition is on, will that be safe for a temporary fix untill I get to Oregon in about a week?

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:42 PM

yeah that's totally safe.
I grabbed an A/C relay from an EA82 car and used that as my EA81T coupe's second fan relay.. works great. I fused both of the power sources to the relay using the little inline fuse holders that A/C'ed EA81s have so it all looks stockish.
Will do the same with the second electric fan on my EA82 wagon but I'll use EA82 inline fuses so it looks OEMish.

#5 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:42 PM

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=74632

#6 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:17 PM

Kewl, ty for the info, just got done wiring in a relay on the ground side for both fans with a kill switch for that "some day" when I get my diff and tranny breathers routed up into the body/snorkle. The hot side for the left fan is still fused so I think I'm pretty safe.:burnout:

Gonna mark the kill switch as "Fan" and "Dive" modes.:-p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users