Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust (Y) help for CA 1981 BRAT needed

Can anyone help this guy?? Please reply to his email address.

Thanks! Todd

Hello!

Nice BRAT! I cannot help with CA emissions and I have no parts that would help you. Can you not just go with a basic Y and disable the sensors? The system is not complicated like newer cars and there is no elaborate ECU.

I will post your message on the forum at http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/

(You should consider joining).

Expect some reply's from there. I'm sure it will get response.

Best, Todd

In a message dated 8/27/2007 12:43:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time, sweetjim007@gmail.com writes:

I acquired this brat while at a auction. The story was that after the original owner had the dealer replace the motor with a factory new motor

at 105,000 miles in 1987, they put it on blocks to do some brake work and there it sat with only 3500 miles on a motor and years of no attention I managed to start her up and drive all the way from Pittsburgh, Ca to near Placerville, Ca. NO brakes( Turned to rust powder) and some 2000 dollars later this little truck took on the Rubicon Trail! Now I have run into one major problem, The " Y " pipe is the California feedback type and I have searched three states trying to find a replacement, The muffler shops here want almost 1000 dollars to fabricate a exhaust system, cause of the O2 set-up. Can you help me with this?

--

JAMES

I am actually in the process of having a '79 Brat shipped from Idaho to California and I anticipate some issues with smog laws. So can I ask if anyone replies to this guy's email address, can you also post your replies in this thread as I am very curious how this gets resolved. I guess it brings up a couple of questions:

Will a well-tuned EA71 or EA81, with no O2 sensor or a disabled O2 sensor, pass California Smog Laws?

If not, what are the options? Any Californian forum members out there?

-Crabman

I am actually in the process of having a '79 Brat shipped from Idaho to California and I anticipate some issues with smog laws. So can I ask if anyone replies to this guy's email address, can you also post your replies in this thread as I am very curious how this gets resolved. I guess it brings up a couple of questions:

Will a well-tuned EA71 or EA81, with no O2 sensor or a disabled O2 sensor, pass California Smog Laws?

If not, what are the options? Any Californian forum members out there?

Crabman

90278 huh?? you are in my backyard.

I can give you the number to the CARB referee at El Camino. Maybe he can help you.

PM me.

BW

That dude talked to the wrong exhaust shops... The local places here in Sacramento would fabricate a full exhaust no problemo for just a couple hundred.

Catalytic converters cost extra of course, but you can source out your own CARB legal cat and have everything custom made for cheap. He's just speaking to the wrong people.

• 2 weeks later...