Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to solder w/o a soldering iron.. or heat gun... ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

Alright, so one of the control wires poped off the circuit board in the control unit of my radio, for the aux in mod. I left my soldering iron & heat gun back up in NH... I'd rather not take a lighter to the circuit board... any ideas? it's sort of current sensive in there... and i can't stand driving w/o music... so...

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,943 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

Hm....well of course the solder needs to get to melting temp to, well, melt. Non heat options maybe try to adhere the wire to the board with super glue or a dab of RTV?

If there's a harbor freight near by could probably get a soldering iron for a couple bucks. Maybe someone you know has a soldering iron?

I know radio shack for a while had these lighter style soldering strips don't know if they still have those...

#3 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:07 PM

[...]I'd rather not take a lighter to the circuit board... any ideas? it's sort of current sensive in there... and i can't stand driving w/o music... so...

No, no, no...lighters are for shrinking heat-shrinkable tubing, not for soldering. :)

What you need is a propane torch or gas range, and one of these ;) :
http://cgi.ebay.com/...8QQcmdZViewItem
:Flame:

Actually, if you have a piece of copper rod that can be appropriately filed, or tubing that can be crushed flat at the end, and a source of heat as I mentioned above, you can make do. Just be sure to hold the copper piece with something that will isolate you from the heat, because copper is about as good at conducting heat as it is electrical current :eek: . Tinning the "business" end before soldering is probably necessary.

Of course, if you have the right gauge of bare copper wire, and a low-voltage source of sufficient current, you could make the equivalent of a soldering gun... (1/2 ;) ) = (only half kidding)

#4 eryque

eryque

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

The fastest, absolute bestest way is to just buy another soldering gun. You'll never do it very well with a jury-rigged setup and you'll like burn something else.

Radio Shack or anywhere they sell tools should be able to hook up up for under $10.

#5 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

The fastest, absolute bestest way is to just buy another soldering gun. You'll never do it very well with a jury-rigged setup and you'll like burn something else.

Radio Shack or anywhere they sell tools should be able to hook up up for under $10.

Plus, you'll have a spare for when your first iron goes out.

Nathan

#6 mrtoyou7747

mrtoyou7747

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Boynton Beach, Fl

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

You might want to try some conductive epoxy. They make 2 component RT cure. Maybe from radiocrap or autozone. apply with a tooth pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users