Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Toy VS Sammy VS Sidekick/tracker?

Uberoo

I am trying to find a rig for offroad but some street driving as well.I might need to haul/tow something once in a while.Ive narrowed my choices down to 3 vehicles

a toyota 4x4 pickup,preferable with a 4 banger,manual

A suzuki samuari,4x4,2 door convertible,manual

a Suzuki sidekick/tracker,4x4,2 door convertible,manual

I found an 86 extra cab toyota SR5 pickup with the 22R-E and a manual.And it only has 144K,the head was replaced 4K ago(chain slipped,bent valves so head/valves/chain were replaced.And I can probally get it for like 2250-2500 cash.

but should I wait for a suzuki?Im leaning toward the toy,because of the fact its a pickup.so I can fill it full of stuff,and toyota's legendary durability.But on the other hand those zuki's are micro offroaders,good for trail riding..

what should I do?Parents have decided no on a roo so dont ask...

If you want to haul stuff, you cant beat the Toyota. When I was in the market, i was torn between the Sami & a yota. Both have solid axles, both have plenty of aftermarket parts available... but the deciding factor was the 'yota is a TRUCK. I can throw a weekends worth of gear in the back, or if I want I can tow a trailer or boat (albeit a small boat). The 2.4 in the Toy will have plenty of power for anything. And the Mods are priced just the same as any sami mod.

The Sami has a 1.6 liter, and no cargo room. They are EXTREMLY Capable off-road. I wouldn't doubt a bone stock Sami could out-wheel a bone stock toyota. But go on a camping trip with a buddy with his Samarai and chances are you'll be carrying his gear.

Forget about the sidekick/tracker. From what I've seen, they are all IFS and you never see any mods for em.

-Brian

Samuari has a 1.3l and is underpowered for hauling itself, especially with big tires. They make up for that with a 4:1 low range.

The Sidekick has a 1.6 SOHC, but looses the gearing.

The Toy hauls decently.

Out of all these, only the Samauri has a straight front axle

Hit send before I finished the post-

if you were closer i`d hook you up right now. there is a 96 taco 4wd down the road for $1200, and a 94 4wd toyo xtracab pickup about 20 mins away for $1400 both 4cyl 5 speeds. i just picked up a 2000 taco xtracab 4wd off its original owner with 111k for $4000. you may want to come out here and buy one if that one falls through:lol:

if you were closer i`d hook you up right now. there is a 96 taco 4wd down the road for $1200, and a 94 4wd toyo xtracab pickup about 20 mins away for $1400 both 4cyl 5 speeds. i just picked up a 2000 taco xtracab 4wd off its original owner with 111k for $4000. you may want to come out here and buy one if that one falls through:lol:

Yeah, but you might just fall through the east coast one :rolleyes:

get the yota, a sami wouldn't be bad either. i'm getting one for a daily driver. but with a sami you'll be going to toyota axles anyhow. i know i will. after my toyota is done.

if the engine is blown, i'd wait... that's an ifs rig and you'll want a solid axle. i wouldn't pay over a grand for one with a blown engine. and that's if everything else was perfect and pristine...

no the motor was fixed 4K miles ago.He had it listed for $3000 Wanted $2700 because of all the work that was put in.I tried to offer him 2000 CASH.No dice.Then I tried 2500 CASH and told him it was as high as I could go.Take it or leave it.Needless to say I am still without a car.What kinda of a moron turns down 2500 cash when its 200 less than what he wanted? I even showed him the 25 $100 bills...

Personally, i'd say samuri. You'd be amazed at the amount of stuff you can throw in the back if you take the rear seat out. A samuri can be beat, hard, plowed into rivers, over downed trees, rocks, be flipped, jumped, and hammered and drive away unscathed. However, the flipside is that they suck on the highway. The 1.3l does great in the woods, it's plenty peppy to shove the truck wherever you need it. At least the EFI one we had was. Watch your front tires, if you have big ones, and you jam them in the wheel well, the front birfield joints will blow. Oh, and the stock radio antenna tears off easily.

wait out for a solid axle, whether sami or toyota. how heavy are you planing on modifying the vehicle? if your planning steep ascents and heavy rocks you'll want to stretch a sami's wheel base to over 100". or that seems to be the normal for heavy modded sami's.

some aftermarket sites to look into, and a little light reading...

www.sky-manufacturing.com

www.trail-gear.com

www.allprooffroad.com

www.marlincrawler.com

www.calmini.com

suzuki faq

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113614

toyota faq

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180

no the motor was fixed 4K miles ago.He had it listed for $3000 Wanted $2700 because of all the work that was put in.I tried to offer him 2000 CASH.No dice.Then I tried 2500 CASH and told him it was as high as I could go.Take it or leave it.Needless to say I am still without a car.What kinda of a moron turns down 2500 cash when its 200 less than what he wanted? I even showed him the 25 $100 bills...

Obviously someone who knows what it is worth and what he wants. He had already dropped the price $300 and then you want him to go more? I would have paid the $2700 and I am about as cheap as they come.

After owning 2 Sammis, one of them locked in the rear, and one of them lifted, and only owning one Toyota. . . The Toyota hands down.

Wouldn't ever want to get behind one of those Sammis again. They wheel to beat hell, but they drive down the road "like a piece of plywood." That from a guy who we met on the trail several times in our Soobies. He owned a company that fabbed up fancy off road goodies for Samurais too.

A rag top is lame in cold weather, and the box ones would be lame in the Summer. Think about being able to keep up with traffic. Can't do it in a Sammi. Unless you start dumping motor and stuff into it. That 1.3 is pretty gutless. And not very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

new option.How are dodge Raiders/mitsubishi montero's?

I found one with a blown motor and a camo paintjob for 300.The 2.6 mitsu I4 can be found everywhere.cheap.It looks like a more powerfull sammy..And they first started offroading them down under.which means there is some aftermarket for them...

here is some info:http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/gallery/evolution/tn_88raider.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/gallery/evolution/&h=99&w=150&sz=4&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=Td7x81O1VTO5qM:&tbnh=63&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddodge%2Braider%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

• 3 months later...

I would stay away from the dodge raiders/mitsu monteros, there is ZERO aftermarket support and they just arent built for hard use.

The decision between a toyota, a sammy, and a sidekick is a tough one. it depends on what you want/need

TOYOTA: good power for a 4 banger, more than enough torque, easy to find, durable, rock hard, lots of cargo room. massive aftermarket support. cons are the solid axle trucks are expensive and elusive, but the IFS trucks are easy to come by for reasonable prices. any toyota is awesome out of the box, stock, the ifs is nearly bulletproof anyway. will not let you down.

SAMMY: usually cheap, pretty good aftermarket, awesome out of the box, unfortunatly they are small, the axles are weak and the stock engines are way too underpowered for any use that requires larger rubber or lift without decent gear reduction. again they are great stock but you have to realize, they are TINY. the back seat is a joke, they shouldnt have one because its not comfortable to ride in the backseat of one, especially offroad :)

SIDEKICK: peppy motor, a little more room than a sammy, unfortunatly the aftermarket is signifigantly less than both the samurai and the toyota, and they all have IFS. If you can find a good deal on both a sammy and a sidekick, you have a great combo for splicing together.

IMO, a toyota is the best bang for your buck. you get lots of cargo space, good power and torque, heavy duty components all around and lots of aftermarket support. not to mention they are plentiful in junkyards so spare parts are always easy to find.

It all depends on what you NEED. i love samurais but they arent practical for my needs because of their small size. that is why i bought a toyota.

From personal experience, the Sidekick/Tracker is quite capable off road. Don't let the IFS concern you if you are only interested in a few additional inches. You can easily lift them with some coil spacers and a set of shocks for the rear (from a crown vic no less!!)

Your big limitation on that vehicle will be the amount that you can lift without screwing up your axle angles and getting your CVs all bound up.

There ARE fiberglass shells out there for the soft top Trackers. I've heard great reports on the gas mileage out of the 5MT ones and they're certainly capable of hauling a LOT more than you would think!

Your big limitation on that vehicle will be the amount that you can lift without screwing up your axle angles and getting your CVs all bound up.

There ARE fiberglass shells out there for the soft top Trackers. I've heard great reports on the gas mileage out of the 5MT ones and they're certainly capable of hauling a LOT more than you would think!

and you nailed another reason some have drifted away from subies and wheeling. you can only tweek and adjust ifs so much. they are capable very capable, but i'd take the sammy or toy geared down any day over the sidekick. you can only push those types of suspensions so far, and it's time to upgrade.

now i wouldn't mind the motor out of the sidekick in my sami. but since i'm attempting to keep it as a daily driver, i'm only putting on a screaming eagle CV carb kit, a header w/full 2" exhaust and an isky cam when i reseal the head. after the toy is finished, the zuk will be sprung over, 31's and 6.5:1 gearset which will also regear the 2H to 1% over stock w/31's. and it will be used as tahuya wheeler and DD.

• 3 weeks later...

I am putting a 1.8L in my sammi, it's a process. Go with the 1.6L if you go sammi. The one three isn't all that bad actually. Off road in low it's not bad. On the road it's not a camaro, just be ready to wait for bigger gaps when merging, and getting in the slow lane when it comes to going up hills. I would suggest a toyota, I have a sammi as well as another pickup. They are easier to build, and if you need to go camping or something you can fit you stuff in it. With the 22R-e they are still pretty gutless. The 22r-e isn't the best of engines, but aftermarket is almost unsurpassed. STAY AWAY from raiders. They aren't designed to be beat up. That plus the near complete lack of aftermarket support.