Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripped male connector on PS line

1990 Loyale, 1.8, non-turbo, 270,000 miles.

While re-installing my engine from a full gasket set job, I did something stupid.

I stripped the male connector on one of the pinon PS lines that connects to one of the pump lines!

It's definitely leaking. It's leaking just in idle after the re-birth of the engine on its intial re-start (not driven yet).

Is there a easy/cheap fix? Please tell me I don't need to buy a whole new pinon set. The junk yards are Loyale-less.

2874620540100510311iuUEzX_th.jpg

2314249740100510311MAhbaw_th.jpg

.......I stripped the male connector on one of the pinon PS lines that connects to one of the pump lines!

Is there a easy/cheap fix? Please tell me I don't need to buy a whole new pinon set. The junk yards are Loyale-less.

Looks more like you cross-threaded the connection... not good but possibly fixable. Take apart and use a thin jewlers file, or thread file and dress the damaged male threads byr removing burs etc. Possibly take some abrasive cloth and assure flare or seating surface of tube is clean.

Assure alignment and try to re-make connection and assure straight when starting first threads and possibly it will catch and thread properly. If you know the thread count/pitch you could order a male tap etc.. but I think you could make this work by doing the above.

You won't have to replace the whole rack, just that section of line. I have an extra rack and all line out in my Garage. I need to get rid of it and was going to toss it. Do you want me to pull the lines for you? Can you cover the shipping? PM, but I am moving ion 2 weeks so it will be gone soon.

For the future, when removing the engine, it is alot easier to unbolt the pump from it's bracket, remove the few bolts holding the lines down, and swing it back over the engine and set it up out of the way in the spare tire area. No need to disconnect any of the lines. Same thing can be done with the AC condensor

Gloyale, (YOUR INBOX IS FULL SO I COULDN'T SEND YOU A PM)

Sure! I'll glady cover the shipping for the lines. I appreciate the offer!

I'll PM my private data to you.

As soon as you know the amount, zap me an E-mail or PM.

I was considering removing the pump instead, but since the lines are 'solid', I thought it might be hard to get/keep them clear for engine removal/install.

Eric

Yeah, I'll still take it.

Thanks again!

PS: my loyale is purring like a kitten now after the engine removal/install and after I resolved the lifter issues. The right ones filled up this morning on the way to work. The engine has never sounded this good!