Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trike

subaruguru

hey all i am building a trike mostly because i have a good subaru but it has no tittle and the court here in ellensburg is well retarded and you have to do so much just to get things done. so i am gonna take the tranny and engine and build a trike. but i dont want to waist a good tranny becuase it's a 4X4 d/r. i want to know if ther is any way to run an ea82 on an ea81 tranny i know you can put an ea81 on an ea82 tranny but is it reversable i know i would need a 2wd flywheel. know how to do everything els but? im just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

since you aren't afraid to hack up your cars, why not take it and make it into a three wheeled vehicle. See the thread that I started about powering a rear wheel in this forum

You would still need a FWD tranny for this. The basic concept is that in most states, a vehicle that weighs less than 1500 lbs and is on three wheels is considered a motorcycle. You would have to do a lot of weight shaving in get it down that much, but, the important thing it to keep the firewall, b/c then your pedals and brake master cylinders and such are all ready there. The hard part would be the rear end. You would need to tube the rear end and put in a trailing arm w/a rear tire.

BW

• 4 weeks later...
since you aren't afraid to hack up your cars' date=' why not take it and make it into a three wheeled vehicle. See the thread that I started about powering a rear wheel in this forum

You would still need a FWD tranny for this. The basic concept is that in most states, a vehicle that weighs less than 1500 lbs and is on three wheels is considered a motorcycle. You would have to do a lot of weight shaving in get it down that much, but, the important thing it to keep the firewall, b/c then your pedals and brake master cylinders and such are all ready there. The hard part would be the rear end. You would need to tube the rear end and put in a trailing arm w/a rear tire.

BW[/quote']

Hi. I am building a reverse trike using Suby parts. It has undergone many changes since it's inception and has now morphed into goldwing power and Suby rear diff with front subframe. Most of the changes have come because the Subaru parts make it easy to do. Prior to aquireing the Goldwing I was going to use the front wheel drive transaxel from an '85 GL (thats where the subframe came from). The Honda is a unit engine with the tranny inclusive so I won't need the tranny from the Subaru after all. I picked up an LSD rear diff from an '87 RX this past weekend to use in place of the transaxel. I didn't want to just use the Suby parts (engine wise) to begin with because of cooling system issues, but now it looks like I'll still be dealing with those. Good luck with your project. Cheers. Dave.