Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Neon Lights

A friend gave me a bunch of neon lights for computers, and i wanted to put 2 of them under the dash. Considering the dome light is near useless, I wanted to wire it so that they would operate as the dome would--door, off, on.

I'm wondering what would be the best method for this? I was thinking of tapping into the wire going to the dome for the door switch, then wiring with an On-Off-On toggle. The dome and neon would operate on different switches, but still appear to be working in sequence when on door.

The prefered way would be to wire it directly to the dome light switch and use it as my means on operation. My main concern is that the switch would not be able to handle the load.

is there anything i should be concerned about? will my wiring melt and leave me hangin?

The 12v going to the lamp is not switched, the ground is. So what you would need to do is run a 12v + wire to your lights. Then connect the negative side of the lights to the ground wire for the dome. You could install a switch on

you''re 12v wire as a defeat. Also you could wire a switch to ground on the ground side to turn it on anytime, without the door having to be open.

Might be a good idea to see what kind of amperage your new light's transformer draws first..probably not a whole lot for something this small, particularly if it's not actually neon. "Real" neon lighting needs a whole buttload of stepped up voltage (at minimal amperage) to work.

what the last two said. i have four 3in blue neons in my gl. one under each side of the dash and one under each front seat. use the relays. you thank yourself in the long run. just my 2 pennies.:cool:

that does not inclued the monstorus sub and amp as well as the power cap. the more time and effort you put in when doing eletrical now will keep your car running and good eletrical condition. trust me i know i figured that the hard way with my old delta 88 i had. damn me for not useing relays and all!!!