Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Neon Lights

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phychotron

phychotron

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

A friend gave me a bunch of neon lights for computers, and i wanted to put 2 of them under the dash. Considering the dome light is near useless, I wanted to wire it so that they would operate as the dome would--door, off, on.

I'm wondering what would be the best method for this? I was thinking of tapping into the wire going to the dome for the door switch, then wiring with an On-Off-On toggle. The dome and neon would operate on different switches, but still appear to be working in sequence when on door.

The prefered way would be to wire it directly to the dome light switch and use it as my means on operation. My main concern is that the switch would not be able to handle the load.

is there anything i should be concerned about? will my wiring melt and leave me hangin?

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,882 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

The 12v going to the lamp is not switched, the ground is. So what you would need to do is run a 12v + wire to your lights. Then connect the negative side of the lights to the ground wire for the dome. You could install a switch on
you''re 12v wire as a defeat. Also you could wire a switch to ground on the ground side to turn it on anytime, without the door having to be open.

#3 ZRX Doug

ZRX Doug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Detroit

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:23 PM

Might be a good idea to see what kind of amperage your new light's transformer draws first..probably not a whole lot for something this small, particularly if it's not actually neon. "Real" neon lighting needs a whole buttload of stepped up voltage (at minimal amperage) to work.

#4 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,529 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:44 PM

Don´t Forget to Use a Relay there. Its the Safer Way to do a Long Lastin´ Electrical Setup.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:58 PM

Don´t Forget to Use a Relay there. Its the Safer Way to do a Long Lastin´ Electrical Setup.

Posted Image

Posted Image

+1 billion

#6 dragonfire

dragonfire

drive it like U stole it!

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • jacksonville

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:19 PM

what the last two said. i have four 3in blue neons in my gl. one under each side of the dash and one under each front seat. use the relays. you thank yourself in the long run. just my 2 pennies.:cool:

that does not inclued the monstorus sub and amp as well as the power cap. the more time and effort you put in when doing eletrical now will keep your car running and good eletrical condition. trust me i know i figured that the hard way with my old delta 88 i had. damn me for not useing relays and all!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users