Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frankenwagon suspension build-up

Numbchux

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have progress! Unlike my car...lol

Where did you get the bearing socket from?

GD posted this link in another thread, and I couldn't find it anywhere else:

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=275

small progress so far this morning:

rear caliper paint is dry (the '02 RS stuff I have was painted red by the PO.....so I thought I'd match the rear)

PICT3253.jpg

and, I trimmed the tip off the rear spindles to the Rota Centercaps will fit (notice in the pics with the wheel on....there's no center cap....):

PICT3255.jpg

final update for today (time to go to work...)

bearings and brakes in the rear are completely done. well....sort of.....just noticed a couple of the studs on the other XT6 hub are screwed up....so it'll have to come off.....but the rotors and lines are in. both modified spindles are in. so....another couple pics:

PICT3256.jpg

PICT3257.jpg

and so begins project: custom dampening:

PICT3261.jpg

PICT3262.jpg

now.....if only it would stop raining in my garage :mad:

went cruisin around town looking for cool places to take pictures.....and really only got one worth showing:

PICT3343.jpg

then came home and started drilling more holes in the driveshaft tunnel (buddy brought the ebrake cable bracket to me yesterday...):

PICT3373.jpg

and I also got some aluminum chassis reinforcement pieces.

PICT3374.jpg

these are fender braces for a GC impreza. I'm going to find a way to mount them up on the loyale :clap:

oh yea, and the brakes are amazing!!

well....in the interest of continuing to help my fellow USMB'ers out.....MORE PICTURES:

a 7/8" hole saw, drill, and air grinder, and I did this:

PICT3385.jpg

PICT3386.jpg

PICT3387.jpg

(the cable isn't attached to anything on the other end, so it isn't sitting quite how it will. and has to come back out. but you get the idea)

continued working on the fluid replacement in the struts....

the hole is very shallow, so in order to cut threads, I had to cut the tip off of the tap:

PICT3395.jpg

but managed to get some nice threads cut anyway:

PICT3391.jpg

PICT3393.jpg

they don't quite seal, so I'm probably going to have to use some teflon tape or something.....but got fluid in 2 of them, and started on a 3rd....

• 2 weeks later...

finally.....215/45r17 Kumho Ecsta's (thanks to the Discount tire sale a couple weeks ago) on 17x8 +48 Rota Torques. Car is lowered quite a bit, and these don't rub on the fender at all in the front (they hit the framerail at full lock....), and only required a little rolling in the back:

PICT3397.jpg

PICT3398.jpg

PICT3399.jpg

Maybe you should wash it real good before taking pics:-p

Looks good anyways though!:banana:

I did....actually. but, those were taken in the alley, and notice the puddles/mud that has accumulated there. it only takes a few trips before it gets filthy again.

once I get the rear spats on (hopefully this weekend) I'll give it a good bath, and go take some really sweet pics before I have to take the rota's off and put on the snow shoes.

• 3 weeks later...
You have progress! Unlike my car...lol

Where did you get the bearing socket from?

I ordered one of those sockets from etool. It "looks" very sturdy, made in Hungary. It's not an impact socket and not advertised as such. Fair enough.

The other day I attatched it to a 220 ft. lb. impact gun and removed an EA-82 rear wheel bearing nut with it. Take a look at my pictures. The square drive portion is now pretty distorted. I had no idea it would fold like that, it's pretty soft metal.

Doug