Ultimate Subaru Message Board

White Smoke (Still)

N2FHL

It failed emissions and about the same time developed a problem with white smoke (antifreeze).

Intake manifold gaskets didn't solve the problem and the compression was a little low in one cylinder so off came the heads. I had the heads reconditioned and there weas no sign of cracks around the exhaust ports, but I got it back together today, fired it up and still slight white smoke. Also missing intermittently.

Could I have missed a crack in the head? Could a cracked intake manifold mix coolant with the fuel? Any other place coolant can get in?

Anybody know a cheap way to pressurize the cooling system and then what? Listen for a leak?

Someone mentioned in a post that it took days for the catalytic converter to burn off the residue. Could this be the problem?

'87 GL 3-door carbureted EA82

Buurning water itself shouldnt cause you to fail emissions. The water is burning off the carbon in the eninge, so that would do it.

You need to take a compression test first to see what is going on. Also examine the spark plugs, is one cleaner then the other. Yes its possible you missed a cylinder head crack.

What are the emissions numbers?

nipper

Interesting posts. The vacuum line to my transmission doesn't seem wet with fluid, but I'll block it off and see if the smoke stops.

Also now, it won't idle, have to give it gas to keep it running. I'm guessing a vacuum leak on this one as I had all that stuff disconnected.

I guess a failed vacuum solenoid/diaphragm/modulator (whatever) could cause a leak.

Interesting posts. The vacuum line to my transmission doesn't seem wet with fluid,

I recently got faked out by that. Do the plug test. Somehow, the oil was not staying there, I couldn't see anything unusual. But it eventually burned up 2 quarts of ATF. I had the smoke intermittantly but when the tranny started slipping, I checked the level, sure enough it was low. New modulator + 2 quarts fixed both problems.

how is your tranny fluid level?

I haven't got there yet, I can't get it to idle. It dies at under 12-1500 rpm. It was running a little rough before I tore it apart, but it is worse now.....although the smoking has stopped. So either I burned out what was left in the exhaust system or I'm running out of transmission fluid!

It is running as though it has a vacuum leak although I have double and triple checked all the hoses and connections. Tomorrow night I'll drag the lights out to the street (where I do all my work) and grab my great big hemastats and start pinching off the lines until hopefully I isolate the right one. Or maybe I'll start with the propane or carb cleaner first.....

Thanks to all for the feedback and wish me luck.

Yes you do. The ATF fluid has to be warm.

nipper

Ok, I missed that. Almost 20 years ago.:eek: :eek: I've never had a problem with my 3ATs. Anyways, if it has been burning lots of ATF, you can at least fill it until you get oil on the dipstick / low mark.