Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So assuming I had an engine with some blown HG's.... what fitment issues would you have dropping the 95 dual port heads onto the 94 block? I would need heads and a y-pipe of course. Anything else? Would I need the 95 cams or are they roughly the same?

Worth the 7 HP gain if I'm going to be in there anyway?

Purely hypothetical since I doubt I need HG's, but I'm curious to know for posterity.

GD

sounds good. i've never done it and doubt i'd think of anything you can't but since this is a discussion board i'll say this: EGR stuff, but that's no big deal anyway and you can get 95 heads with either (auto's have EGR, manuals do not). even if you had to swap to a 95 intake you could probably use the 94 wiring harness on it. timing belt kits are the same from 90-96 so no worries on the tensioner/pulley/timing/cam sprocket stuff either.

95 heads fit fine. The roller rockers are nice. The 94 manifold will bolt right up to the head, they're the same. My last engine was running with a 92 head on one side and a 95 head on the other, and it ran great untill it burned another valve.

The y-pipe is the same too.

Here's a pic of a 95 head:

06_12_25_DevEngine_014.JPG

I thought the exhaust configuration accounted for most of the gain in performance.... is that not correct? 7 HP is actually a fairly large amount - more than a 5% increase - as big as the increase the EA82 gained when it went from carb to SPFI, and that took a number of changes to accomplish (cam, compression, intake, fuel system, etc).

Perhaps I just don't get how the exhaust y-pipe fits the same on a single vs. dual port exhuast head?

GD

i have an extra set of turbo heads? if you are interested

Hhhhmmm - wonder exactly what's different about *those*?!? I'm sure the cam profile is totally wack for an N/A engine but that does always bring up the possibility of a low-psi turbo setup.... maybe with M/S :grin:

Not sure how the open-deck block would handle that. I'm sure 5 psi would be alright and probably kick out another 10 or 15 HP though. Need to inspect the engine condition - she said the oil was changed every 3000 - 3500 and she's a little old lady so probably not lying about that.

GD

I thought the exhaust configuration accounted for most of the gain in performance.... is that not correct?

Maybe not, because from 1996 it was single port again. Maybe the difference was due mostly to roller rockers,

if they allowed to increase valve lift, but I don't know. The power increase for 1995 was 5 hp, from 130 to 135.

There was a furher 7 hp gain in 1997.

The ej22t heads have a smaller intake valve in them.

In 95 they changed the exhaust manifolds, so you would have to have your 94 exhasut system modified to fit accordingly.

IMHO the only true advantage to the 95 ej22 heads is the roller rocker design, other than that I have found no difference in them.