Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spider Manifold: what's the advantage?

Since I'll be having to remove my intake mani to do the gaskets anyhow, I may finish pulling the Spider Intake from the XT down in the pick'n'pull. Before I do that though, I'd like to know what kind of improvement does the Spider supposedly give an EA82T? If there really is no noticeable improvement (power, response, etc) I don't think it would be worth the work to pull and install.

Since I'll be having to remove my intake mani to do the gaskets anyhow, I may finish pulling the Spider Intake from the XT down in the pick'n'pull. Before I do that though, I'd like to know what kind of improvement does the Spider supposedly give an EA82T? If there really is no noticeable improvement (power, response, etc) I don't think it would be worth the work to pull and install.

Is the one at the JY a 87 Turbo Spider? Only 87 XT's where available with a Turbo Spider intake. After that 88+ the XT6 replaced the Turbo. The non turbo 4cyl XTs had Spider manifolds. But you would have to modify a few things to make a Non-Turbo Spider manifold work on a turbo. You'd need to add a coolant line for the turbo. And the TPS is different, but has the same outputs and function, just rotates opposite and has a differnt connector. Wiring modification is not too hard. There is a list of a few different parts need to do the swap other than the intake as well.

Coolant return line from heater core to water pump

Auxiullary air valve

*dogbone* and bracket from trans

possibly Alternator and A/C condensor bracket?

Turbo to Throttle body tube(if donor is turbo)

I had a spider on my RX but it came from a NA '88 XT. I added a coolant line for the turbo, and had to repin the knock sensor since the XT intake didn't have it. Other then that I had no issues. It ran decent when it was 10 degrees outside and when it was 50 degrees outside up to the point of overheating:rolleyes:

Between my 86 4wd on demand auto turbo vortex and my 1989 auto full time 4wd auto vortex. the 89 was sooo much faster and that was fulltime 4wd on

all the time. it was sooo much better

the auto on demand was probably a 3at and they suck, the auto AWD tranny was 4EAT.

the auto on demand was probably a 3at and they suck, the auto AWD tranny was 4EAT.

yea but i only ever left it in front wheel drive. had better take off power. sometimes i could get the front wheels loosing traction :lol:

i was meaning by that the 89 was 4wd all the time and how well it took off compaired to the other

:burnout:

• 7 years later...

nice bit of digging .... I have an old turbo spider that I want to try on a NA mpfi I have been running ....time to go get the gaskets and work out how I am gonna feed its fuel - propane !Really need to have it running as old style first, then a quick swap over to feel rather than recall how it ran a year ago - last time I drove it !

I reckon there is a difference between early and later EA82T - my early ones all gave the fact spec crank pressures of 130 psi whereas my later spidey EA82T in an XT has cranking pressures of 150 psi - sort of rough, crude comparison, but a good indicator in my mind

The euro spec may have got more HP but it was at higher revs too

Edited by jono

cheers Tom. Just registered for a log in, but didn't get an email acknowledgement. Will check again tomorrow.

Although, if I could work out what the things attached to the ends of the wires are, I could do the wiring.

Edited by wagonist

Seems I've already got that FSM. Looking at it, what I really need is a diagram (or pic) showing which components are located where (and labelled). I know what most of the stuff on the standard engine looks like, but confused because they're in a different place on the Spider.

Adrian, aka Discopotato here and on ausubaru I believe still has some of that stuff in the garage off Ellie the RX seeing as "Just In case" he had more than one Spider setup.

Unfortunately he is back at Cloudbreak for two weeks driving Ore trains for twiggy Forest, When he gets back I will check as these days he spends more time on forums to do with either his Evo 6 or the GTS Skyline though he is considering more Subaru's back in the fold and flicking a very clean rust free Evo 6,Most people don't realise it is very important which Island Jap imports come from as some salt the roads and some don't.

His came from a salt free environment and I have seen too many rusty Jap Imports when you know where to look.

Cheers Coxy. I've been meaning to get a pic of the engine bay & circle the areas I'm curious about. Last minute arrangements to get up to the WRC this weekend haven't helped :P

I'm trying to sell my manual Caldina GTT at the moment. Was happy it was missing the snow gear (which is usually the fitment of rear fog lights & heated windscreen). Although I think it depends how they're treated. I had an older turbo diesel Caldina which had the snow gear but didn't have any issues (but maybe being only 2wd helped ;) )

He hasn't been on the ausubaru forum since Feb.

Edited by wagonist

So, now that's its starting to stay daylight for longer, I managed to get a better look at the Spider engine in my car.

I will need to have a better look at the normal turbo engine in the wagon I'm getting to compare, as so far, I've only got another NA XT non spider engine here.

So the things I have found are:

1. knock sensor (very hard to see) on top of the engine under the throttle body

2. idle motor with 2 wires (normal engine only has single wire). is the 2nd one an earth?

3. ECU coolant temp sensor on the left side rear (normal one is right side rear)

4. a vacuum solenoid behind the power steer pump. Is this EGR?

5. TPS is 4 wire. The engine has an early 3 wire fitted as it was being run by a black ECU, but I know that the NA 5 wire TPS I have spare is the same as the 4 wire because 2 of the pins are joined. But how do I find out which pin is which for the 4 wire? (found a schematic for this, so all good)

6. other wires are oil pressure, coolant temp gauge, wires for injectors

7. what about the 2 pin plug that's on top of the thermostat on the "normal" engine but doesn't exist on the spider manifold?

Have I missed anything?

I've got spare engine loom plugs so my aim is to make up a patch loom to extend the rear facing loom of the Spider XT engine across to the side to join the wagon loom. Though this will go close to the turbo, so not sure how I'm going to protect it from the heat.

Edited by wagonist

ok, been tracing some wires & confirming that the US wiring diagram matches the JDM engine. almost there, but concerned about how to check the ECU coolant sensor wires & the knock sensor wires because the sensors are down underneath.

Worked out what I thought was the idle control motor is actually an Aircon advance (and the idle control is tucked under the manifold). Is the wire that controls simply in parallel with the A/C compressor clutch wire?

Also, does anyone have the part number for the spider manifold 4 pin TPS? And can you still get them? The engine I've got has had an early 3 pin TPS fitted but I'm confused how because it turns the opposite way to the normal engine's TPS...