Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch is toasted

just went wheeling a bit next to my buddies house whikle i was waiting for him to gety home. i was climbing this fatty hill that my 7 year old brother said i would never get to the top of. i got to the top alright, but i went playing some more and fried the s*** out of the clutch. smoke and stink. now i can hardly get moving. this reallysucks being that it's christmas time and all. too bad Santa isn't real:boohoo:

once i get it disassembled i'll take some pics and have you guys tell me whats worth keeping. maybe i wont have to buy the whole clutch kit. i don't really have $200 just laying around

There's a couple of things that can happen to a clutch to make it slip. Getting them over-heated is one of the major ones.

When you get it pulled, look at the disc itself. If it looks all shinny, it's probally glazed over. Coarse grit sandpaper will remove that. Same with the flywheel and pressure plate. They get glazed from over heating, then they'll slip.

I have resurected a few slipping clutches, just by sanding everything down a bit. May save you some cash, may not. Going to cost you some work, either way.

Possibility here that you've over heated the pressure plate enough to weaken the springs/diaphram. If that is the case, you'll need a new one. Does the pedal feel way easier to push in? If so, would bet the PP is toast.

All I'm saying here is, a few hours labor, may save you a few hundred dollars. Not saying it will be good as new, but it may get you by until you can afford a new one. Just got to be mindfull of the fact that the clutch is weaker now.

good luck......

Let it sit for a while. Then, go try it out again. You may very well have overheated it. I have smoked a couple clutches before. But, I have never had to replace them. Once they cool the tension comes back and works ok.

Did you go through any type of water/mud hole?

it works a bit better after cooling. it has been slipping for some time and i just pushed it over the edge. i was going to order a new clutch kit tomorrow w/a lifetime warranty. should i just replace it anyways or do the sanding. i know i'll need to replace it someday anyways.

does anybody know of some type of write up for replacing the clutch?