Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Australian getaway

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for a Sydney landing...

Fly or drive to Broken Hill. If you drive, head through the Blue Mountains then on to Dubbo and finally to Broken Hill. Check out things in there and then head South to Melbourne (again, fly or drive)... In Melbourne, check out the Botanical Gardens, Southbank, Bourke St Mall, Ligon St is good for Cruising as is Chapel St... After all that take a cruise the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Warnambool. For that drive you're gonna want to rent something that handles well, WRX perhaps?

That should pretty well take in about everything you've mentioned and tire ya'll out a LOT!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks a lot for the tips, that sounds like fun... and of course I'm renting a subie.... always wanted to drive a right hand sube.
Sorry to highjack your thread, but I have a favor to ask while you're there (or if anyone else down under can help). I'm fond of an Australian group (http://www.colcannon.net/); saw them here at the Islands Fold Festival a few years ago and bought every CD they came out with. Except the three that were out of print. I suspect they might be available in used but good condition at local music stores. I'm willing to pay for them if you could pick them up and bring them back. I'm sure I could make it worth your while.

The CD's I'm looking for are:

Omit the Turnips

Honest Work

Strength to Strength

I believe the band is local to Adelaide. They're currently on tour in Europe and will be going through Canada in November so I'll be able to pick up their latest CD then.

Edrach, I'll get a mate in Adelaide to scout around for some CD's for ya... just FYI, CD's in oz aren't as cheap as they are over here! I'll let ya know what he finds though...
Thanks very much. Contrary to my normal feelings about cost, I'm less interested in cost and more interested in getting the CDs (maybe I shouldn't say that:eek: :rolleyes: ). Plus I know mailing them will cost even more, but that just comes with the territory.

Ed,

Just sent you a PM on Colcannon.

Randomizer,

Depends on what you want to see. If you're into the outback side of things, fly into Sydney and straight out to Alice Springs in the centre (center :rolleyes: ). Climb Uluru (Ayer's Rock is the white man's name for it), then drive down into Cooper Pedy in northern South Australia. Then on to Adelaide (capital of SA), then drive across to Victoria along the Great Ocean Road (fairly similar to the south Oregon / northern California drive, but without the redwoods you guys have). Victoria has a zero-tolerance law on speeding, and fines are hefty - most are from fixed speed cameras rather than from police (police will only pull you up if you're doing 10-20km/h more than the limit, especially in town zones). We don't have 4-way stop signs, instead we use lots of roundabouts which I don't recall seeing much (if at all) in my trips to the US. Our highways are 3 lanes generally, which means peak time in larger cities are almost as bad as yours - much less cars but much less freeways.

From the Great Ocean Road, follow it back to Melbourne (my town), and then fly up to Queensland for the Great Barrier Reef, and drive your way down to Sydney. This gets just about all of Australia covered (except Tasmania, WA and northern NT) and you see pretty much all the major sights. To do everything I listed would take 3 weeks, but I do travel fast...

Oh, if you like Mexican food you are royally screwed here - no Taco Bell, no Mexican cantinas, if you're lucky we have a couple of mid-priced diners called Taco Bill around the place which make a few really nice mild dishes, but they are very Australianized. Our Thai and Italian restaurants beat yours, though ;)

If you make it to Melbourne I'll happily show you around.

Dean.

I'll have to keep that in mind.... I've got till June to plan my itenerary. I'm shooting for a 10 day trip, but we'll see how things turn out.

As far as the roundabouts, we are starting to see a lot more of those around here.... seems that there are actually less accidents with those than the 4way stops.

a couple of mid-priced diners called Taco Bill around the place which make a few really nice mild dishes, but they are very Australianized. Our Thai and Italian restaurants beat yours, though ;)

+1 for La Porchetta... Great Souvlaki at Lambs on Lygon St, also an awesome little Greek tavern/restaraunt up in Niddrie, can't recall the name off the top of my head though

Hehehe... fond memories of flogging the huge margarita glasses from our local Taco Bill at my going away party just before I moved from Australia... good times!