Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help - power window!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 obskermit

obskermit

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • State College

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:57 AM

The motor on my passenger side window has apparently siezed up. the repair bill is going to be $339.15....

Any advice before i do this?

my vehicle is a 2000 Subaru Outback Sport.

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,948 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

Provided the motor is faulty and it's not the regulator jammed up or something like that.

61188AE00B WINDOW MOTOR FRONT RIGHT FOR 2000-2004 LEGACYS ALL msrp $210

#3 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

Provided the motor is faulty and it's not the regulator jammed up or something like that.

Outback sport = Impreza

use www.car-part.com

You can get a used one as cheap as $35 + shipping.

Keith

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:27 AM

As others hinted at, make sure the motor is bad before you condemn it. It doubt that it is bad but it could be jammed. Test it after it is freed up by connecting power directly to it.

#5 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:31 AM

As others hinted at, make sure the motor is bad before you condemn it. It doubt that it is bad but it could be jammed. Test it after it is freed up by connecting power directly to it.

Good point.... The stealership told my aunt she needed a new driver's side power window switch on her 91 Legacy, and of course wanted to charge her loads of money. I got one at a junk yard and did the swap. Turned out her switch was just fine, it was the wiring harness to the door. One of the was had broken internally and only made intermittant contact.

Keith

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,592 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

ALot of times its the switches that are bad, and they can be rebuilt. The contacts get carbon build up. Its really easy to fix.

nipper

#7 obskermit

obskermit

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • State College

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:56 AM

Update! -

So they couldnt get the part without ordering it. and they said 3 days. so i went back and picked up my car. went to get some lunch and on the way back to my office i got the inclination to try it again, and to my suprise it went back up. I decided to throw caution to the wind ans try to put it back down, and nothing.

details are. i tried to put it up from the drivers side. then the passenger side switch. the passenger side switch worked. (it did not before) The driver side had stoped working all together the day before it went down and stayed down using the passenger side switch.

Needless to say now that its up, i canceled the parts order. and i have the luxury of time to address the problem.

#8 obskermit

obskermit

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • State College

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:58 AM

What is the regulator? and how would it get jammed up - could i fix it?

#9 obskermit

obskermit

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • State College

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:00 PM

ALot of times its the switches that are bad, and they can be rebuilt. The contacts get carbon build up. Its really easy to fix.

nipper

Are you talking about the actual switches on the door handles, or are there switches near the motor?

#10 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,948 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

#11 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

From the sounds of it, it seems to me you have some switch problems. Possibly also some wiring problems in the door jamb.

#12 obskermit

obskermit

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • State College

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

From the sounds of it, it seems to me you have some switch problems. Possibly also some wiring problems in the door jamb.

So what do i do?

is it hard to take the inner door off to see if somthing i jammed up mechanically?

What might it mean since the driver side switch doesnt do anything and the passenger side will put it down but not up. and it all went bad at the same time. I doubt both switches would crap out at the same time would they?

#13 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

I think the power for the passenger switch has to pass through the driver side switch first so that would point to it as the possible trouble. The driver's door panel can be pryed loose by using a small putty knife. There are some plastic retainers in the around panel edges You will feel them as you slide the blade around under the edge. Carefully pry them out as they can break through the panel if you are not careful. Once you get at the switches try spraying the contacts with some spray cleaner. If you try to take the switch apart be fore-warned there are small springs in the switch that will fly out if the switch is opened. I would take it apart in a plastic bag if you do that but if you can avoid taking it apart I would.

#14 AKghandi

AKghandi

87 GL-10 2" lift 27" tires, 86 GL 2" lift 29"

• Members
  • 1,161 posts
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:35 AM

nipper

it is indeed. just did one earlier just dont loose any of the tiny pieces in the carpet.

#15 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

It is a good idea to place the switch in a clear plastic bag and then work on it. If parts fly at least the bag should contain them.

#16 95legwagon

95legwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • west hartford

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Outback sport = Impreza

use www.car-part.com

You can get a used one as cheap as $35 + shipping.

Keith

look for south windsor auto parts on there :) thats where i work and i KNOW we have legacy's and outback's and newer imps.

good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users