Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wicked shift

I have a 1989 turbo gl wagon, just got it so i'm still getting used to the car. It has always shifted very hard from first into second, Even harder at higher rpm's. It's pretty uncomfortable, is there any way to fix it, andything wrong, or is it normal?

BushB, although DanBob does not say what tranny he has, my bet is it's a full time 4wd 4EAT automatic.

If so, does the "power" light flash at start up - this is the way the tranny's ECU (TCU) tells you there is a problem.

Might want to try this, as it better than a rebuild...change out the fluid, as much of it as you can....if a shop can do it, flush out the whole trans, and while you are doing that, from the dealership, get the trans filter/screen or whatever it takes....i dont remember which one. If it doesn clear up with that...well, at least you've just dont some preventative maintenance! Im sure there is an auto. trans expert surfing here somewhere...

Does the power light flash upon start up?

I own an 89 GL-10 with the FT4wd4EAT and it shifts the same way. I haven't taken the time to pull codes from the TCU but as Will said one of the problems stated in the FSM for this is worn out tranny fluid. It must get thinned out or contaminated and not make the proper hyd pressure, therefor the soft shift solenoid is not doing it's job. OR we have bad solenoids

The power light flashes on start up as it should, but when in drive the dang thing never turns off, unless i've been driving really hard and it's getting real hot. I do not though beleive that it is indicating a problem, i think that it is a simple one of the nutorious subaru wiring issues.

Danbob, well you say "The power light flashes on start up as it should"

This is not what the FSM says, it says it does this when there is a fault with one of the componets.

The proceedure for retrieving the codes is also given.

You are no doubt correct "it is a simple one of the nutorious subaru wiring issues"