Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wiring Diagram

I've done a search, I've dug through my Chiltons manual etc but I can't for the life of me find a wiring diagram for the "3rd eye" One was installed by a mechanic at some point into the 1982 Brat that I just bought. The light will turn on but the 'door' in front of it will not open.

The previous owner said that he had the door wired up to a rocker switch so you have to turn on the light with the factory switch and then hit the rocker toopen the door. I'd kinda like to have it working properly but don't have the wiring diagram to know what's meant to go where

Thanks!

Hi Dave This is Jerry, i have a 82 FSM and i can photo copy it for you but i can't mail it until monday. My wife had sholder surgery today and i am the butler until monday morning so if you can hold out until monday i can do this for you. Let me know Thanks Jerry

Sounds great Jerry! My wife won't complain about me spending minimal time out in the garage this weekend, she tolerates my vehicle fetish up to a point and I don't want to reach that point quite yet!:grin: Whenever you get a chance to do that I would appreciate it! PM me if you need my current mailing address (it's not the same as the one on that check I sent ya)

Hey Dave This is Jerry, just to let you know the wiring diagram is in the mail. Thanks Jerry

Excellent! Thanks a million Jerry! really appreciate it!

could you email a copy of one of those?

I'll scan it in and email it to ya as soon as it arrives... PM me your email addy

• 2 weeks later...

Started to rebuild the TERRIBLE wiring job that the PO had done on my Brat... I've stripped a lot of un-needed wiring out of the dash (various aftermarket accesories)

My question is this: the area on the schematic below that is highlighted in red, is that a seperate module that I am missing from my wiring or is it hidden away somewhere in the switch or motor housing?

At the moment I have the correct switch and the assembly behind the grill.

It will work (to some extent) the switch will turn on the light and I can put +12v to another wire under the dash to activate the door but it just flaps up and down until you remove the power... Any 3rd eye experts around here?Cyclops_wiring_diag_marked.JPG

when I had the electrical contact part on the side of the gear next to the motor appart for cleaning there were more than 1 track. this was a couple years ago so I'll have to check if I can find it. one continuois and one intermitent. it would make sense if the intermitent contact path was "hot" and would run the motor a certain distance and then shut off when it reached the gap in the circle to open and close the light, and the continuous path was switched to start it running so the other would take over and be automatic sort of like the power windows.

when I had the electrical contact part on the side of the gear next to the motor appart for cleaning there were more than 1 track. this was a couple years ago so I'll have to check if I can find it. one continuois and one intermitent. it would make sense if the intermitent contact path was "hot" and would run the motor a certain distance and then shut off when it reached the gap in the circle to open and close the light, and the continuous path was switched to start it running so the other would take over and be automatic sort of like the power windows.

Thanks J2coe, I suspect that is the limit switch shown just to the left of the (M) on the schematic... I'm pretty sure that there's a control unit that i'm missing... (could be wrong though!)

Hi This is Jerry, the control unit is located on the right front inner fender. It is a black box about 2 inch square and is held on with one sheet metal screw. Thanks Jerry

Awesome! Thanks Jerry! That would put it somewhere near to the battery then? Or is it right front as you're facing the engine from in front of the car? I'm 99% certain that I DON'T have one seeing as the 3rd eye was installed by a hack mechanic at some point in this Brat's life... I'll have to see if I can find a control unit around someplace (it'll sure make this wiring mess a lot easier to clean up!)