Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 OBW and have noticed that there are scratches that go down the middle of the windows of the driver & passengers. It is from something when the window is rolled down. Does anyone know what causes it? Can I fix it? Will it get worse if I tint my windows? Thanks for any input!

As the window operates up and down, there is usually one or 2 felt (black) lined guides that help to stabilize the glass. Quite commonly, these get contaminated or wear out with age. As the glass slides along them, the contamination (depending on what is on it) can slowly but surely scratch the glass. On the Subarus, they are replaceable. Most of them are held on by a 10mm bolt or a simple clip. You will need to remove the door panel to get to it though.

You can first check by putting the window all of the way down, then pull the horizontal weatherstip that is attached to the very top of the door edge and touching the inside of the glass away from the glass. You might be able to confirm that the scratches are at this location. It is possible (?) that you can see it, but if not, you will still need to remove the door panel.

And, yes, it will trash your tint!!!

My 97 OBW had the same thing ocurr on the driver's window. I believe that some winter salt and sand got between the glass and the outside rubber strip and was lodged on the pad that positions the window in its up and down travels. Its about 10 inches or so in from the front of the door, and about an inch and a half wide. As long as the grit stays on the pad the damage will continue to be done. There really isn't anything that can be done, short of removing your inner door panel and taking the glass out of the door to get at the pad. Since your window tint is put on the inside of the glass, the pad and its scratches can't affect the tint in any way.

Originally posted by gbhrps

My 97 OBW had the same thing ocurr on the driver's window. I believe that some winter salt and sand got between the glass and the outside rubber strip and was lodged on the pad that positions the window in its up and down travels. Its about 10 inches or so in from the front of the door, and about an inch and a half wide. As long as the grit stays on the pad the damage will continue to be done. There really isn't anything that can be done, short of removing your inner door panel and taking the glass out of the door to get at the pad. Since your window tint is put on the inside of the glass, the pad and its scratches can't affect the tint in any way.

Tinting film is applied to the inside of the glass, and these pads will scratch the tint film quite badly.

The felt pad can be replaced with the glass in place, just be careful not to drop it inside the door during removal/installation.

I remove my felt pads every spring and clean them, and in some cases replace them if I feel they are worn out or beyond cleanable.