Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steam from the radiator...

Hello,

I often see steam coming from my radiator when I'm stopped at a light or whatever. It looks to be coming from the middle of the back of the radiator. I have an 85 Brat. The 80 wagon that I used to have did the same thing. Is this one of those Subaru things that just happens or is there a potential problem? Water level seems to be fine. Doesn't over heat at all. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Are you sure that the steam is comming from the radiator? was it raining when you saw that happen? If your water lever never changes, odds are against it comming out of your radiator, and if it did, you would be smelling somethin real nasty associated with the burning of antifreeze (i have to live with it on my car) so i wouldn't worry to much about it.

Dan

Thanks for the replies. It does only do this when it's cold out. I assume it happens all the time, but you can only see it when it's cold. It does not happen at every stop. Just sometimes. Usually happens during every trip though. It takes a couple of miles so I guess it needs to warm up a bit. It looks like it's coming from the back of the radiator, but I haven't been able to see it when it's coming out pretty strong. By the time I pull over it's just kinda faint. I need to just let it run in my driveway and see when this happens.

Thanks again.

well my turbo wagon used to do the same thing.. you'd pull up at a light and it would look like its steaming from the radiator..

from what i could tell is that the least bit of moisture in teh air would steam from the hot radiator.. never seemed to affect anything.. never leaked or used coolant etc..