Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best Standard Size Off-road Tyre?

SubaruMV1800

Hi, when i finally get my own Brat I intend to offroad it on a farm nearby. I was wondering if anyone could suggest A good off road tyres for the type of terrain I will be going on, it will be deepish mud, wet grass, stubble feilds that sort of thing. The size is 155 r13 C-6pr according to the brochure. Any recommendations would be appreciated. (It will off road all of the time).

Going to 185 or even 205 wide makes all the difference.

Try looking for snow/winter tread tyres. You might be able to get some in 185/80R13's..

Otherwise convert it to 6 stud and run some 14" wheels with the kumho M/T's or something. Will need to cut a lot with that, but they will fit non lifted.

thank you for the advice. I have been talking to some farmers around here and they have said that a thin tyre is better because it cuts throught mud, snow etc and they also said winter tyres would be the best option. But i have got a 185 tyre so i might see if i can get another 3.

But i have got a 185 tyre so i might see if i can get another 3.

Do your car a favore and don't mix tyres!!!! All four should be the same size and brand. It doesn't take much size difference to start messing stuff up. You may be able to find a stock 14" rim in Europe, I've seen them on at least one wagon from the UK.

Later, Tim

'Do your car a favore and don't mix tyres!!!!' don't worry, i was going to get the make and buy 3 new ones. 14" peugeot rims arn't too common around here, there's only one 205 van which has them on and its my cousins and he doesn't want to sell. So I will probably be keeping the standard whells on. I managed to find some rally tyres which are good on wet grass and mud so i will most probably go for them. And there also quite cheap

you can get some 6 lug chevy rims at a scrap yard, and drill them. its easy i did it with 15 inch, got some cool 205 65 15 snow tires at walmart for 45 bucks a piece

In East Yorkshire, England? I somehow don't *think* you will find 6 lug Chev rims there, maybe Nissan, maybe Toyota, but not 6 lug Chev.

thank you for the advice. I have been talking to some farmers around here and they have said that a thin tyre is better because it cuts throught mud, snow etc and they also said winter tyres would be the best option. But i have got a 185 tyre so i might see if i can get another 3.

I've been told this too. But it doesn't help when the mud is deeper then your clearence. I personally like wider as it works in sand, and gives more grip going up things. But if you want heaps of control I guess skinny would be the go. The farms I've been on always use huge tires on their tractors, but I guess its a whole weight thing as well.

"It entirely depends on the outside diameter of the tire you choose." thank you. Would putting 14/15/16inch rims on give me much more ground clearance or am I better off Adjusting the Suspension then putting the rims on, or i think i might be able to source a lift kit from the UK

Would putting 14/15/16inch rims on give me much more ground clearance or am I better off Adjusting the Suspension then putting the rims on, or i think i might be able to source a lift kit from the UK

What you have to do is determine the tires you want to run. Availibility, and the confines within your fenders will determine this. Then you get the rims to fit the desired tire/vehicle. If no such rims exist then you change your tire choice. Price plays a part in this too.

The overall height of the tire/rim combination will determine your ground clearence.

A lift kit will open up the wheel opening to allow you to run a larger tire (higher), but keep in mind that about the limit of, say a 6" lift, is about a 28" tire without body trimming/bashing.

The way I went about this here is I determined the tire I wanted to run, I bought suitable wheels, I lifted the body 6", I then trimmed the fenders. But it is good to know what is availaible to you (I sure wouldn't know) then make your decisions based on cost and availaibility.

At a guess without a lift kit you'd need to cut the rear of the front fender back 1.5 - 2 inches and smash the wheel well in just behind the fender an inch or two. This may screw up your pedals too so be careful. With a 4" body lift you may get away with only bit of hammering and maybe no cutting depending on what offset wheels you get. The 2WD trucks like the (pretty sure toyota 2WD trucks don't have 6 stud) have a much better offset for a 6x139.7 stud pattern to fit the subies.

you mentioned that you had found some rally tyres

i run retreads that are a copy of the early 80's dunlop rally tread pattern 175/70r13.....haven't managed to get it stuck yet (deliberate attempts aside)....and they are unreal on gravel roads.....like scary grip levels, enough that i was able to pass a wrx on a tight gravel road i drive alot cos he had road tyres on....at the speeds he was driving out the side windows when taking the corners....my ute was hardly stepped out.

300hp is no good without traction:burnout: