Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 with Hitachi Carb

mudman

Hey fellas,

I've searched the forums, checked the books, and tried some experimenting, but to no avail. I just can't get this EA71 with brand a new hitachi carb to run correctly.

I can start it an let it Idle. After I give it the gas though, It is as if extra fuel is thrown in and the engine runs at a high RPM, even with the throttle closed. It will do this for about 5 seconds after the throttle is closed.

This hitachi carb has hose nipples all over it. This engine was given to me without the carb and air filter. I bought what I thought was the correct carb, but after opening up the box, I was baffeled.

What needs to be hooked up and what doesn't? I don't care about emmissions, since this engine will be converted for marine use.

I was told to plug all vacuum lines on the engine. I was told to plug all hose connections on the carb, except for fuel in and fule return. I was also told to block the EGR valve with a plate, and remove any hoses from the valve covers to the PCV valve.

For some reason I think that the engine may just blow up or something if I try that.

Should I just try and get carter weber carbs instead of trying to use the hitachi like this guy did? http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/USRM2/mick-usrm/weber/weber-all.html

By the way, the hitachi carb shown is the exact carb that I have. Any hwlp on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Bump.

Do I really need all of the hook ups to get this engine to run well? I know that the engine was later designed for emissions, so it really doesn't need alot of the hoses I'm sure.

What does the the hitachi carb need to perform correctly? I think that the engine came from an early eighties Brat. The carb on the other hand is brand new.

I know where fuel in and fuel return are.

There are three small hoses on the front of the carb. Another larger one in the front. Another larger hose on top. Two larger hoses in the back. Fuel in/return on the side. And another next to some sort of solenoid. Add two more vacuum lines at the choke and that makes a total of TWELVE lines.

Please tell me that I don't need all of them hooked up. I dont have enough hose!!!

Anybody with any information, PLEASE HELP. I can't find one remotely like this at any Junk yard, nor can I find how this Carb works!!!!